Sunday Confessions 5/22/11

Sunday Confessions is a weekly meme from To Read or Not To Read. This week Marcie asks... 


How do you feel about parents who monitor their children's reading?


Andrea: 
I don't have kids so I honestly don't have an opinion on this one at the moment.


Tevya: 
As a teacher and parent, I have very strong feelings about parents screening what their children read. First of all, I think parents need to always be aware of what their children are reading. Reading brings up topics that sometimes require discussions about right and wrong, being able to say no, dealing with peer pressure, sex, and so much more. It's important that parents know what their children are reading so that they can be ready for these discussions and help their child to decide whether or not they are ready for the reading material. That being said, I think it's very important for parents to encourage reading - all reading. Your child knows best what he/she is ready for. If it is something controversial or that you think your child's not ready for, then rather than discouraging that book, you should make it a read-together book so that you can discuss it each step of the way. If your child declines that option, then have them choose something else to read. If they really want to read, they will be willing to share the experience with an open minded parent. With all of the other options for entertainment, and so many children who HATE reading, I think it's vital for parents to encourage reading, and this includes allowing their children to read what is interesting to them. As a parent, I have first hand experience with this.


Comments

  1. I am right there with you, Tevya. I want to know what my kids are reading, but I can't imagine I'd ever say no to what they want to read. I will, however, be very insistent about discussing topics that I find controversial or challenging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tevya, I couldn't agree more. Thanks for participating in Sunday Confessions.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We love your comments!