Novella Review: Blood & Mistletoe

Blood & Mistletoe (Ivy Granger #1.5)
Published By: Sacred Oaks Press
Publication Date: November 20, 2012
eBook
Buy it at Amazon or Barnes & Noble
Source: ARC Kindly Provided by Author
Audience: Adult - Urban Fantasy

I love E.J. Stevens' Spirit Guide series, but the Ivy Granger books are quickly becoming my favorites. Stevens writing seems to get better and better with each novel. I was so excited to read this novella after spending time with Ivy in book #1, Shadow Sight, earlier this year. This little gem is enough to tide me over until book #2 arrives. A strong heroine, holiday themed murders, and a hot Kelpie king - this is exactly what was on my reading wish list for the holiday season. Snag this for your e-reader, curl up with some eggnog or hot chocolate, and lose yourself in the world of Harborsmouth, Maine.

In this edition, my favorite paranormal detective is up to her elbows in cases for the paranormal beings of Harborsmouth. As Christmas approaches, Ivy's mood darkens, and her inner Scrooge comes out in full force. The one bright spot of the season is that she can wear her gloves without drawing stares. The gloves protect her from being pulled into the memory of every object she touches. A demon stops by the office to request Ivy's help with a series of supernatural murders. Fey are turning up dead; the only  clues left behind are blood and sprigs of mistletoe. Ivy must find out who is responsible before more Fey die.

I really enjoyed the mystery of this one in spite of the briefness. This novella doesn't take long to read at all, but I loved that I got full resolution. The ending was always one of my favorite aspects; I adore Ceff! 

You could certainly read this novella without reading book one, but what would be the fun in that? 


One Last Gripe: My only complaint was the segment when Marvin goes missing. That slowed down my momentum - especially because I didn't understand why Ivy immediately assumed he'd been kidnapped.

My Favorite Thing About This Book: I loved the lore surrounding the killer

First Sentence: I woke to the smell of gingerbread and coffee.

Favorite Character: Ivy

Least Favorite Character: This was too brief for me to form a strong dislike for any of the characters.



Holidays are worse than a full moon for making people crazy. In Harborsmouth, where many of the residents are undead vampires or monstrous fae, the combination may prove deadly.

Ivy Granger, psychic private investigator, returns to the streets of Harborsmouth in this addition to the bestselling urban fantasy series.

Holidays are Hell, a point driven home when a certain demon attorney returns with information regarding a series of bloody murders. Five Harborsmouth residents have been killed and every victim has one thing in common--they are fae. Whoever is killing faeries must be stopped, but they only leave one clue behind--a piece of mistletoe floating in a pool of the victim's blood.

The holidays just got interesting. Too bad this case may drive Ivy mad before the New Year. Heck, she'll be lucky to survive Christmas.

Blood and Mistletoe is an Ivy Granger series novella.

Comments

  1. This sounds incredible! I'm so excited! I'm adding it to my tbr list now!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We love your comments!