Book Review: Snowed In

Snowed In
Published By: HarperTeen
Publication Date: November 2007
Page Count: 261
Source: Purchased by Reviewer
Audience: Young Adult - Contemporary Romance

There were a few things that compelled me to read this novel. One: I wanted to read a winter contemporary romance. Two: This was on sale for $1.99 on Kindle when I purchased it. Three: I loved the concept of moving from the South to the Michigan and owning a bed and breakfast on an island. Yes, I know, I have a tiny obsession with the idea of living on an island. I just think that would be cool. Someday, my friends, someday....

I really feel that I was more in love with the idea of this novel than the actual novel. There wasn't anything wrong with this novel - it's well written, has fun characters, and the plot is interesting - but I just kept finding myself wanting more. I wanted the characters to be a bit more fleshed out. Even the main character is somewhat elusive. You learn a lot about Ashleigh, but I didn't finish the novel feeling like I really knew her all that well. There was nothing truly memorable about her or the other characters. I will admit that Josh made me swoon a time or two, but even those moments retreated quickly. This is a quick, cute read if you're in the mood for a clean winter romance, but don't expect something that will blow you away. I do think teens - especially younger teens - will eat this one up. I do feel this is a book I would have loved in my younger days.

One of the things I did enjoy about the novel was the setting. The bed and breakfast concept lured me in and I was interested in learning more about Mackinac Island, Michigan. It sounds like such a neat town that is steeped in history. Hawthorne did do a nice job of describing the setting with vivid details. I wish some of that description had made it into her characters.

I also really loved the friendship between Ashleigh and Tara. They reminded me so much of me and my best friend in high school. 

In addition, I really loved the blizzard scenes. I won't go into details because it would spoil the novel, but those moments made all the tedious elements worth my while. I wish the entire novel had read more like those pages.


One Last Gripe: Nathalie's "my boyfriend" thing annoyed me

My Favorite Thing About This Book: The setting

First Sentence: "It'll be fun!"

Favorite Character: Josh

Least Favorite Character: Nathalie



Well, apparently I live here now--my mom just bought the place. And named it after me, Ashleigh, which was nice. But did she know how cold it is here

Um, it's a tiny island with not much to do, unless you really like sleigh rides. But I gotta say there are quite a few hot guys on this cold island . . .


Comments

  1. Replies
    1. I agree - it was a fun, cute read. It also put me in a wintery mood in spite of the lack of winter here in the South.

      Delete

Post a Comment

We love your comments!