Short Story Review: Valkyrie Symptoms

Valkyrie Symptoms (Valkyrie Rising #0.5)
Published By: HarperTeen Impulse
Publication Date: February 5, 2013
Page Count: 20
Buy it at Amazon or Barnes & Noble
Source: Purchased by Reviewer
Audience: Young Adult - Fantasy, Norse Mythology

This truly is just a tiny nugget of a story. Fans of Valkyrie Rising will love this little morsel from Tuck's perspective. I loved him and hope that we get more of his point of view in future books.

In "Valkyrie Symptoms", readers will start to understand the relationship between Tuck and Ellie. While you could certainly skip this one before reading book one, I don't know why you would want to. I actually think I love both Tuck and Ellie even more now that I have this story floating in my mind. I love the chemistry and banter between the two of them. Their friendship is one of the things I love most about this world.

Also, this short story, allows Tuck's voice to dominate. In book one, Ellie is the one who dominates so it was interesting for me to hear another voice. 

This won't take you long to read, but it's well worth the time. In fact, the only reason I rated it a 4 instead of a 5 is the length. I wanted more!


One Last Gripe: Again, I wanted more. This was super short.

My Favorite Thing About the Short Story: Tuck and Ellie's banter

First Sentences: "Tuck. Wake up, you idiot."

Favorite Character: It's a tie between Tuck and Ellie.

Least Favorite Character: This was too short to dislike anyone.



VALKYRIE SYMPTOMS is a short story prequel told from Tuck's point of view, one day prior to the events that take place in Valkyrie Rising.

Comments