Book Review: Don't Look Now


Don't Look Now (PERSEF0NE, #2)
Don't Look Now
Published by: Harpercollins
Release date: Aug. 27, 2013
Genre: YA thriller
336 pages
Source: ARC kindly provided by publisher




Read my review of Don't Turn Around (book 1) here.

I haven't read a ton of YA thrillers, but I think this series is probably one of the better ones out there. I confess that I liked book 1 better than this one- it suffers a bit, setting things up for book 3- but this was still a great read.


One of my favorite things about this series is that it's something that both boys and girls can love equally. The action/espionage angle will definitely hook male readers, which is an audience, in my opinion, in dire need of more new fiction that they will find appealing. The girls will be drawn in by the storyline of kids saving other kids in need, as well as the interpersonal relationships. Thankfully, even the cover art will draw both boys and girls.

This book left me wanting more, probably because Noa and Peter are separated most of the time. I was very interested in the development of their relationship, and this whole book sees them interacting almost exclusively with other people.

I was also disappointed that Noa spends most of this book away from her computer. The girl is a hacker, and she's gotten away from her strongest skill set. I'm betting that she gets back into the game in book 3.

With several different viewpoints telling stories simultaneously, this book is ambitious. The complexities of the plot got a little muddied for me- probably because it's been a year since I read book 1, and I didn't refresh before I went into this one. I think a reader who is reading straight through would probably have an easier time keeping the large cast of characters straight.

There are a couple of the newer characters that I really liked! I hope they stick around for book 3. I know I will.

Summary:

The jaw-dropping sequel to breakout YA thriller Don't Turn Around, which Kirkus Reviews named a Best Book of the Year, calling it "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo for teens, a surefire hit"

Noa Torsen is on the run. Having outsmarted the sinister corporation Pike & Dolan, Noa and her friend Zeke now move stealthily across the country, protecting runaways before they become test subjects for P&D's horrific experiments. Noa knows all too well what that feels like: Whatever they did to her has left her exhausted and scared.

Back in Boston, Peter anxiously follows Noa's movements from his computer, using his hacker skills to feed her the information she needs to stay alive. But he's desperate to do something more, especially when he learns what P&D has done to his ex-girlfriend Amanda.

Then, in an explosive confrontation, Noa and her team are trapped in the one place they thought was safe. It will take everything Noa and Peter have to bring down the corporation before it gets them first. And with no one to trust and enemies hiding at every turn, they may be the only people alive who can.

This stunning second book in the critically acclaimed Don't Turn Around trilogy raises the stakes to their absolute limit and will leave readers begging for the exciting conclusion, Don't Let Go.




Comments