Book Review: Keeper of the Lost Cities


Keeper of the Lost Cities (Keeper of the Lost Cities, #1)
Keeper of the Lost Cities
Published by: Aladdin
Release date: October 2, 2012
Genre: Middle Grade fantasy
 488 pages
Source: purchased by reviewer



After reading Messenger's Let the Sky Fall, I was chomping at the bit to get my hands on more of her work. I got lucky and happened to see this book on a display, as if it were placed there just for me to find. I snatched it up, hoping to find more of the engaging characters and engrossing emotional scenarios that I found in her other book. I got exactly what I was looking for, in a Middle Grades package.


The main character in this book is a twelve-year-old girl named Sophie Foster. Sophie is a child prodigy finishing high school as the book opens. She is also struggling to hide the fact that she is a telepath, which she's dealt with since she fell and hit her head when she was five years old. She has few friends because she is so different from any of her classmates; she even seems totally different from her sister.

Sophie's whole world changes one after meeting a mysterious boy. She learns that someone has been searching for her, and that she is not who she's always believed herself to be. She learns that there is a reason that she is so different, and eventually comes to make friends with a whole assortment of people.

Shannon Messenger characters- oh, wow. It's not often that I've read a middle grade book, where all of the relationships are perfectly innocent and non-kissy, and I'm still feeling my heart wrenched mercilessly for the main character. I was in tears in a few scenes, and laughing aloud in a few others. The plot may be pure fantasy, but the characterization is very, very real. I wanted to scoop Sophie up and take her home so I could take care of her! Thankfully, she has other characters who have her back, making sure she is okay.


This is a weighty Middle Grade title. I feel that I've been on a great adventure with Sophie and company, yet there are still questions unanswered. Lucky girl that I am, I'll be reading the sequel, Exile, soon. In the meantime, I'm handing this book off to my 5th grader- I can't wait to see her enjoy it as much as I did.


Summary:

Twelve-year-old Sophie Foster has a secret. She’s a Telepath—someone who hears the thoughts of everyone around her. It’s a talent she’s never known how to explain.


Everything changes the day she meets Fitz, a mysterious boy who appears out of nowhere and also reads minds. She discovers there’s a place she does belong, and that staying with her family will place her in grave danger. In the blink of an eye, Sophie is forced to leave behind everything and start a new life in a place that is vastly different from anything she has ever known.

Sophie has new rules to learn and new skills to master, and not everyone is thrilled that she has come “home.” 
There are secrets buried deep in Sophie’s memory—secrets about who she really is and why she was hidden among humans—that other people desperately want. Would even kill for.

In this page-turning debut, Shannon Messenger creates a riveting story where one girl must figure out why she is the key to her brand-new world, before the wrong person finds the answer first.





Comments