Book Review: Eclipse

Eclipse (Twilight Saga #3)
Published By: Little, Brown and Company
Publication Date: August 2007
Page Count: 629
Source: Purchased by Reviewer
Audience: Young Adult - Paranormal
Review of Book #2: New Moon

I have finally finished my reread of the first three books in the Twilight Saga; Jen will be reviewing Breaking Dawn at a later point so I decided not to reread that one right now since it's my least favorite. This series is truly my happy place. Even though I have read these novels multiple times, I always reach for them when real life becomes overly stressful and I need an escape. There is something comforting about losing myself in a world that is so familiar and characters I know so well. I also find myself reaching for this series when I begin to miss living in Washington State; Meyers' writing is so vivid that it can evoke the places that I love so much.


Eclipse is my favorite novel of this series. I feel like one of the main reasons for this is the amount of action. Twilight is a lot of explanation and world building while New Moon focuses on Bella finding her own strength, but Eclipse is a pure adrenaline rush. The tension in this novel kept me on my toes the first time I read it. I was so anxious about Bella's fate. There also was a bit of apprehension about who Bella would choose: Edward or Jacob. The wait for Breaking Dawn to be released was brutal.

I also loved the Cullens in this one. It was so nice to have them back after missing them for the majority of New Moon. Emmett has a larger part in this one which I also appreciated. I love when he gets all riled up; his humor and loyalty make him an endearing character.

In addition to Emmett, I really enjoyed Jasper in this one. It was interesting to finally get more of his back story. His expertise on newborns is invaluable to the epic battle. I have always found him and Rosalie to be the most sympathetic characters in the Cullen family. Both of them came into their vampire lives in violent, unexpected manners. Neither of them were given a choice. Their lives were stolen.

Finally, in spite of being a vampire girl, I do enjoy the wolf segments in this one as well. Jacob still isn't my favorite, but he does grow on me the more I reread the series. I can at least see his appeal at this point which wasn't clear to me at all the first time I read the novels.


One Last Gripe: The way Bella needs Edward always irked me. I felt like she needed to learn to stand on her own two feet and not always rely on him.

My Favorite Thing About This Book: The battle preparation scenes

First Sentence: All our attempts at subterfuge had been in vain.

Favorite Character: Emmett Cullen

Least Favorite Character: Victoria



In the dead silence, all the details suddenly fell into place for me with a burst of intuition.

Something Edward didn't want me to know. Something Jacob wouldn't have kept from me...

It was never going to end, was it?


As Seattle is ravaged by a string of mysterious killings and a malicious vampire continues her quest for revenge, Bella once again finds herself surrounded by danger. In the midst of it all, she is forced to choose between her love for Edward and her friendship with Jacob - knowing that her decision has the potential to ignite the ageless struggle between vampire and werewolf. With her graduation quickly approaching, Bella has one more decision to make: life or death. But which is which?

Comments