Throwback Thursday: the Maggie Marmelstein series



 Throwback Thursday is a new feature at Reading Lark. We'll still be doing some Book Boyfriend Posts and Book BFF Posts on Thursdays as well, but the Larks wanted a little variety on Thursdays. Throwback Thursday will allow us to celebrate some of the reads we loved way back when...


Getting Something on Maggie Marmelstein - 1971
Maggie Marmelstein For President - 1975
Mysteriously Yours, Maggie Marmelstein - 1982
By: Marjorie Weinmann Sharmat



Marjorie Sharmat is better known for the Nate the Great series, but to be honest although I'm sure I read the series I don't remember what Nate was all about (I have vague recollections of an Encyclopedia Brown-esque detective boy?) -- but I DO remember Maggie Marmelstien. And I remember being disappointed that there were only three books written about her because that meant I had to check the same books out over and over again from the library.


First of all, Maggie Marmelstien has one of those names that have to be said with both the first and last name. It's not Maggie, it's Maggie Marmelstien. She was always in the center of the action and was feisty, opinionated, and pushy -- and I loved her. (She may remind me a bit of myself.) And as a bonus to my budding, 4th grade love of baking and cooking, each book had recipes in the back. I swear I made every one of them (personal fav was the muffins from Mysteriously Yours, Maggie Marmelstien). Mmmm, muffins!






Summary via Goodreads


Maggie Marmelstein thought that her friend would be a good class president. But when he refuses her offer to manage his campaign, she decides to run against him. 



Comments