Throwback Thursday: A Little Princess


Throwback Thursday is a new feature at Reading Lark. We'll still be doing some Book Boyfriend Posts and Book BFF Posts on Thursdays as well, but the Larks wanted a little variety on Thursdays. Throwback Thursday will allow us to celebrate some of the reads we loved way back when...

A Little Princess
By: Frances Hodgson Burnett
Release Date: 1905


This is one of the first novels I remember rereading as a kid. Sara's story was heartbreaking and endearing. I remember thinking Sara was so brave. She never truly gave up hope that her father would come for her one day. The story came to life even more when I saw the Shirley Temple movie version. From that moment on, I couldn't see Sara without seeing Shirley Temple. Sara helped me learn to stand up to mean girls and to never stop believing in myself. My favorite memories of this story were the moments in the attic with Sara and Becky. I always wanted to be invited to their little gatherings.


Sara Crewe, an exceptionally intelligent and imaginative student at Miss Minchin's Select Seminary for Young Ladies, is devastated when her adored, indulgent father dies. Now penniless and banished to a room in the attic, Sara is demeaned, abused, and forced to work as a servant. How this resourceful girl's fortunes change again is at the center of A Little Princess, one of the best-loved stories in all of children's literature.

Comments