Novella Review: Infinite Repeat

Infinite Repeat (The Art of Lainey #0.5)
Published By: HarperTeen Impulse
Publication Date: August 5, 2014
Page Count: 128
Buy it at Amazon or Barnes & Noble
Source: Purchased by Reviewer
Audience: Young Adult - Contemporary

I loved getting to know Micah when I read The Art of Lainey last April. I found myself drawn to him and his connection with his family. Micah isn't what I'd call an open book and I wanted to know more about him and his past - particularly the night his father dies. Paula Stokes in her awesomeness decided Micah needed the spotlight on his life (whether he liked it or not) and this little gem was born.

Infinite Repeat focuses on Micah's constant cycle of self blame and bad decisions. Each year around the time that Micah's dad was murdered, he begins to derail and engage in self destructive behavior. After several arrests for destroying property and vandalism, Micah is trying to mellow out. He doesn't want his mom and sister to have to see him in handcuffs yet again. To make matters worse, his girlfriend's band is heading down a path of fame and he feels that she is leaving him behind. Micah feels that he can't confide in Amber which leaves him more out of sorts.

I liked getting more insight into what makes Micah tick. The novella also bounces between the past (the night Micah's dad died) and the present (right before The Art of Lainey begins). The background information painted a fuller picture of Micah and made me want to reread Lainey's story. I have missed these characters.

This novella is certainly worth buying if you're a fan of Lainey.


One Last Gripe: I was frustrated by Amber and Micah's relationship. They both were a bit whiney at times.

My Favorite Thing About This Novella: I love the relationship between Micah and his sister, Trinity.

First Sentence: My girlfriend is coming to see me after three weeks of being away, and all I can think about is death.

Favorite Character: Micah

Least Favorite Character: Amber - she annoyed me in Lainey's story too



Seventeen-year-old Micah Foster is looking forward to the return of his girlfriend, Amber, who's been away in Los Angeles recording an EP with her band. But when Amber returns home on the anniversary of Micah's dad's death, something feels different and Micah pushes her away. 


Over the next week, as Micah tries to repair his relationship with Amber, he relives the events of the past few years and recognizes a pattern. His friends and family are right--he self-destructs every April, right around the time his dad died, hurting people he cares about in the process. Will Amber be this year's casualty? Or can Micah escape his past in time to fix his present?

Comments