Throwback Thursday: The Best Christmas Pageant Ever


Throwback Thursday is a new feature at Reading Lark. We'll still be doing some Book Boyfriend Posts and Book BFF Posts on Thursdays as well, but the Larks wanted a little variety on Thursdays. Throwback Thursday will allow us to celebrate some of the reads we loved way back when...

The Best Christmas Pageant Ever
By: Barbara Robinson
Release Date: 1972


As a kid, I loved reading this one and watching the film. I found the Herdman's to be shocking and hilarious. As the Christmas holiday draws near, I decided I had to feature this one. It made me giddy and silly. In fact, as I write this post, I want to find my old battered copy and reread it. I also might just have to see if Netflix has the movie. 


The Herdmans were absolutely the worst kids in the history of the world. They lied and stole and smoked cigars (even the girls) and talked dirty and hit little kids and cussed their teachers and took the name of the Lord in vain. So it surprised just about everybody when they decided to take part in the town's Christmas pageant. The Herdmans had never heard of the Christmas story, but the way they interpreted it, you'd think the story of Jesus came right out of the F.B.I. files. (They called the Wise Men a bunch of dirty spies.) It was a Christmas pageant to remember.

Comments