Book Review: Right Wrong Guy

Right Wrong Guy (Brightwater #2)
Published By: Avon Impulse
Publication Date: August 4, 2015
Page Count: 320
Source: ARC Kindly Provided by Publisher via Edelweiss
Audience: Adult - Contemporary Romance

In this installment, readers get up close and personal with Archer Kane, the younger brother of Sawyer Kane. While I adored Sawyer, I think I might prefer Archer a smidgen more. This took me by surprise as Sawyer and Archer are vastly different types. Archer is a commit-phobe sort who loves his share of flings while Sawyer is more grounded and loyal. I think what drew me to Archer is his character evolution. I was also compelled to like him based on his sultry, but intensely romantic nature.

It has often been said that all a man needs is a good woman and in Archer's case that might be true. Once he meets Eden Bankcroft-Kew, a New Yorker with a trust fund who is running away from her sleazy fiancee, everything starts to fall into place for Archer. He realizes that maybe he has been craving love and acceptance. The whirlwind romance between Archer and Eden did make me roll my eyes a few times as the instalove was rearing its ugly head. I eventually pushed my revulsion for the love at first sight bit and pretended these two had known each other forever like Sawyer and Annie. That helped me to settle into the story.

While Archer's reputation poses some hurdles to the blossoming relationship with Eden, she also brings some baggage to the table. Eden's jilted fiancee, Reggie, is after her bank account and he's not planning to play fair. The harassment that she suffers at the hands of Reggie made my skin crawl and anger churn in my gut. I was so angry that he would treat Eden the way he did simply because he was after her money. I had to cheer when Archer played the knight on the white horse and rushed to defend Eden. It was nice to see him look after someone other than himself.

I also enjoyed the glimpses of Sawyer and Annie throughout this novel. I hope they continue to show up in the third novel which is on my TBR list for next week. I'm excited to meet the elusive eldest Kane, Wilder.

While I enjoyed Archer and Eden's story, I did have a few complaints. The beginning was a little confusing as I assumed it would begin around the time that Sawyer's novel ended, but rather Archer's story was happening simultaneously. It was odd to get Eden's backstory after already meeting her in the first novel. As the story progressed, I could understand why Lia Riley chose to write it this way, but it threw me off at first. In addition, I also felt like this one ended a little too easily and cleanly. I get the need to have a happily ever after, but it didn't feel realistic.

I would recommend this one to fans of contemporary romances or those who have a particular fondness for rugged cowboy types. The Kane brothers are certainly the sort of book boyfriends who are perfect for cuddling up with on those chilly autumn evenings.


One Last Gripe: There were some crass moments that detracted from my enjoyment. I know this is a personal thing and won't be an issue for most readers.

Favorite Thing About This Book: I've grown to love the town of Brightwater. The sense of place is strong in this series and I love the characters.

First Sentence: Fielder Kane, the youngest son of a Rhode Island textile worker, ran away to seek his fortune during the Gold Rush.

Favorite Character: Eden

Least Favorite Character: Reggie



Sometimes two wrongs can make a right...

Bad boy wrangler, Archer Kane, lives fast and loose. Words like responsibility and commitment send him running in the opposite direction. Until a wild Vegas weekend puts him on a collision course with Eden Bankcroft-Kew, a New York heiress running away from her blackmailing fiancé…the morning of her wedding.

Eden has never understood the big attraction to cowboys. Give her a guy in a tailored suit any day of the week. But now all she can think about is Mr. Rugged Handsome, six-feet of sinfully sexy country charm with a pair of green eyes that keeps her tossing and turning all night long.

Archer might be the wrong guy for a woman like her, but she's not right in thinking he'll walk away without fighting for her heart. And maybe, just maybe, two wrongs can make a right.


Comments