Weekly Lark 1/12/11

The Weekly Lark is a prompt for the imagination: something that’s just for fun. A lark is defined as “a source of or quest for amusement or adventure”. . . so let the adventure begin!

for this week: Have you ever used a book for any purpose other than reading? If so, what?

Tevya: Well, I am a little protective of my books and typically will only use them for reading. However, I have been known to use a good hard back book as a mouse pad when I'm on my laptop in bed.

Andrea: I had a lot of trouble with this question. I wracked my brain to think of an answer and all I could come up with was something pretty lame. I have only used books to keep the sun off my face while I slept at the beach. Otherwise, I pretty much just use them for reading.

Julie: Being barely 5'2" I've used books for a variety of non-reading purposes, mostly related to reaching high cabinets or being able to see over someone sitting in front of me. But the most unique way I've used a book is probably as a sun visor. I have a CD sleeve attached to the passenger side visor in my car, and I've often taken a slim volume, like Of Mice and Men, and slid it in between the visor and the CD case to extend the visor just enough to block the sun on my drive home from work. Perhaps not the best way to treat great literature, but it's either that or sit on top of War and Peace as I drive.

Paula: In college I lived in on campus all four years. I had a loft bed much of the time, and stacked my books in crates below. I remember waking up one morning and rolling over only to see a gigantic black spider on the floor. I wriggled around enough to reach a crate of books, and pulled out the biggest one I could find: my dictionary. I have no idea how my aim got so good, but a few seconds later, that spider was a goner- and so was the dust jacket for my dictionary.

Please leave a comment and let us know what weird, wacky or unconventional uses you’ve found for your books!

Comments

  1. at school I used a book to hold up a packet of paper that I had to type up on the computer. So rather than looking down I just had to look up at it.

    whatever book i happen to be reading at the time also sometimes carries something that is important that I don't want to loose in between its pages. And whatever I put into the book to keep safe I never seem to loose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Sandygo2 - Thanks for sharing! I sometimes slip importan or special things in between the pages of my current reads, too. A favorite picture or a note. I love your school story. I was always the kids with my head down and my nose in a book. Like the teacher wouldn't be able to see the book on my lap. LOL Now I am a teacher, and I feel so guilty when I catch kids doing that same thing and I have to tell them to put their books away. It makes me cringe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tevya, I feel the same way when I ask a student to put a book away. We read twice a week in class because I think it's so important to give them time to read, and they always try to throw back at me how much I value reading. :) Nice try kids, but not while we're doing stuff as a class. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Surely there are some other good stories out there. . . like how my kids use their library books as "mom shields". They know I'm much less likely to ask them to do things around the house if I find them holding an open library book. Stinkers are too smart for their own good.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We love your comments!