Friday Five: Books & Hype

We have several friends over at Eve's and wanted to support the work they do. We will feature the same topic each week that they do, but the original idea came from Cheryl Renee Herbsman's blog.

This week, Eve's Fan Garden asks....

Tell us FIVE books that you think received too much hype and/or not enough hype.


The Books With Too Much Hype:

1. Matched by Ally Condie - I know so many people who love this book, but it fell flat for me. I went in expecting to love it as much as everyone else. I think my unrealistic expectations actually ended up causing me to dislike it. I was just looking for something more, I suppose.

2. Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer - I had been waiting for this one for months when it came out. I just think this one fell flat on its face after the other three. I like to pretend it doesn't exist. The hype certainly didn't help this book.

3. The Mortal Instruments Series by Cassandra Clare  - I ended up liking this one in the end, but it took awhile. I actually read the first book and decided I had no desire to read future books. However, my very persistent friend, Katie, convinced me to give the series another try. Again, I think the hype actually tainted my thinking about this series. Also, now that I have read Clockwork Angel - I think that series is going to be so much better than this one.

The Books With Not Enough Hype:

4. Nightshade by Andrea Cremer - I don't think this book got enough hype. I didn't hear hardly anything about it until after I read it. This was good because it allowed me to read and form my own thinking about it. However, I love this book so much I think everyone should be paying attention to it.

5. The Body Finder series by Kimberly Derting - I don't think this series got enough hype either. Derting is a phenomenal writer and the plot pacing is some of the best I have ever seen. More people should read and love this series.


Comments

  1. I completely agree about The Body Finder. I just finished it yesterday and it is now one of my favorite books. Her writing is incredible! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Two Readers Reviews - I am so excited to read Desires of the Dead. I am going to an event with Kimberly tomorrow and will get a signed copy to giveaway here for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't say about anything on these books, I only have Nightshade which I plan on reading real soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE Mortal Instruments. I didn't read them until this past November. I didn't think I would like them, but I did and I am totally in love with Jace. LOL.

    I agree about Matched.

    I have SOOO much love for both Nightshade and Body Finder. Jay is such a sweetie and Nightshade was my favorite read of 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just read The Body Finder too. There was just something about it that I loved! Desires of the Dead is definitely at the top of the must-buy list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love her and loved Linger, but my too-much-hype book is Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater. I was one of the last people I knew to read it (at least that's what it felt like) and had heard so many wonderful things about it. I was prepared to go through a gamut of emotions while I was reading it, and I just didn't. I signed up for an ARC tour of Linger, primarily so my daughter, who LOVED Shiver, could read it. I liked Linger much more and have become a huge fan of Maggie's in the process.

    Another is Fantasy Lover by Sherrilyn Kenyon. It was just kind of meh for me. I liked the following books more and was glad I went on to read the next few books in the series.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I missed the Desires of the Dead event today so I wasn't able to get a signed book to giveaway. I hate when real life interrupts my blog plans. :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. My daughter asked me for a few book recommendations on Saturday...luckily I'd read this and passed on Nightshade and the Body Finder series. She read Nightshade in less than 24 hours. :) My status as Book Mom of the Year is still in tact!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We love your comments!