Friday Five: Distractions

We have several friends over at Eve's and wanted to support the work they do. We will feature the same topic each week that they do, but the original idea came from Cheryl Renee Herbsman's blog.

This week, Eve's Fan Garden asks....


Once upon a time there was a girl… HEY GET DOWN!… the girl was a princess… STOP THAT!…She lived in a …YOU TWO QUIT FIGHTING!… ugh…


Distractions. They always occur at precisely the wrong time. What are FIVE things that always seem to distract you from reading or distract you while you are reading?
1. Family - If it's not the kids, it's the husband...or the mother...or the sisters (all whom I love dearly, by the way). It never fails, as soon as I sit down to read, someone needs something or decides that they want to have a conversation.

2. Phone - I am never without my phone, which isn't necessarily a good thing, but it's a fact. Thanks to the age of cell phones, texting, and apps, my phone is a constant distraction. Whether it's an actual phone call, or the more frequent texts, emails, and facebook notifications, I seem to always have my phone in my hands.

3. Computer - My laptop has become my next addiction to reading. Often, I will find myself giving up reading time to play. Whether it's facebook, Reading Lark, or TwilightMOMs, I seem to be connected to my laptop. My friends live in my computer...and I've become quite attached to my friends!


4. Jewelry Making - I make and sell hand-made jewelry. My passion is beaded jewelry, but I have also become addicted to making scrabble tile, glass tile, and bottle cap jewelry. When I'm in a crafty mood, or I'm preparing for a jewelry show, or when I have an order to fill, this is a very time consuming hobby.

5. Sleep - While sleep is one of my favorite things in the world, I find myself giving up valuable sleep time at night. I am a night owl, and reading does not often put me to sleep. I will stay awake until wee hours of the morning reading when I'm into a good book.

*Special Note* As I'm typing this, I realize that if I replaced #1 and put Reading there instead of Family, this could very well be a list of things that distract me from my family, the people who I love most in all the world. So to my family, I am sorry for all of the times that I am distracted (or absent) because I am either reading or doing something on this list. I love y'all, and you mean the world to me!

Comments

  1. I have actually never thought about it before. What are the distractions for reading?

    1. Music - I cannot listen to the music and read at the same time. Even if it's only in the background, it disturbs me. I know a lot of people who enjoy having music in the background while reading, but I simply cannot. It has to be either or. I love music, but not when I am reading, because then I start thinking about the specific song or something I associate with the melody etc.

    2. Sleeping. Since I mostly read during my evenings (after I put my son to bed), then I sometimes forget what time it is and realizing that it is already 3 AM and I have to come up at 6:30 AM and that leaves me too few hours to sleep. So sleeping does not distract reading but the other way around.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We love your comments!