Book Review: Across Eternity

Across Eternity
Author: Aris Whittier
Published By: Amazon Digital Services
Release Date: 2011
Buy it at Amazon

Source: Author
Audience: Adult


My Thoughts:

Across Eternity begins with Logan Richards, glacially calm entrepreneur, who wants one thing in life - to find the one thing he doesn't have and has always yearned to find...again. Logan always had a "special friend", one that no one else could see or hear. When he turns ten, his best friend tells him its time for her to go, to be born. And he promises her he will find her. Fast forward 27 years. Logan finally finds her, this time in the body of Amber Lewis, waitress and a vet in the school of hard knocks. The connection is instantaneous and mutually felt. Together they find their way to be together - calm waters and rough.


When I started, my first thought was "Oh ...Just like Sundays at Tiffany's" but as I read on, it wasn't at all. I think it had great bones and a fresh take, and at the end, its just where you want it to be - you just have to get through the initial feeling of stand-offishness and distance from the main characters. I wanted to like Amber & Logan, and I did eventually, but I would have like some more in depth quality time with them, more personal feeling, both separate and together. They were a little too cool and aloof at the start. What I did hands down love was the slow burn between Amber and Logan; Across Eternity isn't showy or obvious and I dug that a lot. The description of surroundings and characters was fantastic, but it felt hit or miss (I kept forgetting Logan's coloring and build, besides his blue eyes and I'm a visual reader, which may be a completely made up term) and I relish it when the scene is so well set, so more consistency in that area would really shore up the story. I also found a fresh breath of air in Rachael....Can we get more on her? She was fun, as was the sister, Anne, and the nephew, Kevin.

I refuse to do spoilers, because I have certain friends who would disown me, but I will tell you this - I did the ugly cry. You know what the ugly cry is - You're watching Steel Magnolias and it's at the graveyard scene, and Sally Fields is all "I can run all the way to Texas and back, BUT MY DAUGHTER CAN'T!" and you're sitting there with a mountain of tissue or toilet paper, crying with snot running into the tears, just like every other time you watch it. That, my friends, is the ugly cry, and Across Eternity brought me that. And yes, it is a good thing. It also brings an honest and open ending, which leaves this reviewer wanting more.


Across Eternity Synopsis: Born a genius; education, wealth, and prestige came easy to Logan Richards. Actually, there wasn't much that Logan couldn't learn or acquire. However, he knew there was more to life than money and power. Logan was determined to find the woman he'd dreamed of his entire life and know what it was like to love her before he died. Amber Lewis, a waitress for a five-star restaurant in Dana Point, California was overworked, stressed and wary of life since her sister, Heather, had passed away. Then one evening while working, she fell hopelessly in love with Logan Richards, a chivalrous man who felt deeply familiar. For Amber it was the beginning of a voyage of self-discovery and renewal. For Logan, it was the completion of life. For each of them, it was the deepest sort of love.



Comments