Top Ten Tuesday 5/10/11



Top 10 Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by Jamie at The Broke and the Bookish. This week we're talking about all those jerks in our favorite books. Here are our top ten book jerks.



Odd numbers are Andrea's picks, even numbers are Tevya's picks.



Sadly, all of the jerks we picked happen to be hot jerks. Oh, well.



1. Carlos Fuentes from Perfect Chemistry & Rules of Attraction by Simone Elkeles:

Don't get me wrong - I love Carlos, but the boy can be such a jerk sometimes. I hate how he treats Alex and Kiara at times - especially because they only want what is best for him. He also doesn't always treat Britney as nicely as he should either. He does eventually redeem himself, but there were so many moments when I wanted to smack him.







2. Edward Cullen from the Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer

There were many times that had I been Bella, I would have told him to kiss my ass. He was very controlling, and tried to act like her father at times. (Yeah, let's not go there.) I loved their romance, and I understood the reasons for his behavior, but let's face it, there were many times that he was more than a little jerkish.



3. Catcher Bell from the Chicagoland Vampire Series by Chloe Neill

Again, this is a guy I love, but sometimes he just seems to be aching for a smack up the side of the head. He is too snarky for his own good at times. Even Mallory complains about what a butthead he can be. I especially hates when he is harsh on Merit during training when all she is trying to do is keep her vampire strength from taking off his stupid sorcerer head.



4. Daniel Grigori from Fallen/Torment/Passion by Lauren Kate

Another jerk that I love to love. While reading Fallen, I really thought Luce would just be better off with Cam. At least he was nice to her. Daniel was a total jerk. Hot one minute, cold the next... but oh man did I fall for him right along with Luce.


5. Draco Malfoy from the Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling

There is something appealing about Draco (well maybe Tom Felton) even though he's such a jerk. I hate how he looks down on muggles and is always calling Hermione a mudblood. I also hate how he lets his family control his actions. You just want to punch him throughout most of the books.



6. Patch from Hush, Hush/Crescendo/Silence by Becca Fitzpatrick

Patch really showed his jerky side in Crescendo. I spent the majortiy of that book very angry with him. Granted, Nora didn't exactly step up to the plate either, but I wanted to slap Patch on several occasions.



7. Todd Wilkins from Sweet Valley Confidential: 10 Years Later by Francine Pascal

I can't believe what a super jerk Todd morphed into! I loved him during his Sweet Valley High days, but any lingering attachments I had to him died a slow and painful death when I read this novel. I can't believe how selfish he has become and how he treated people he supposedly cared about like Liz and Winston.



8. Gale from the Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins

I was Team Peeta, but I loved Gale too. Gale didn't show his inner jerk too much until Mockingjay. I'm pretty sure everyone who has read Mockingjay knows where I'm coming from on this.



9. Jace Wayland from the Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare

I know this may cause quite a shock through some of our readers, but I can't stand Jace. He gets on my nerves and I just want to pop him in the nose. I don't care that he is supposed to be super hot. The boy is not one I would keep around long. I just spent the series hoping he'd shut up and go away. He is the one jerk I put on this list that I don't actually love deep down inside.



10. August from Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

This is one jerk that I didn't fall for. Between his treatment of his wife and his treatment of the animals, I was very happy for August to meet his end, and I love how appropriate his end was.





Comments

  1. I haven't read Mockingjay yet - now I'm not sure I want to. I <3 Gale!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hot jerks are the worst kind. I never liked Gale much in the Hunger Games, but I haven't read Mockingjay yet either. I guess I'll probably hate him.

    Read my list here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh, I'm with Tevya. Gale is a complete butthead in Mockingjay. I loved him before that book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed on Gale. I really liked him before Mockingjay, too.

    Tevya, I CANNOT believe you listed Edward Cullen as a jerk! I don't know if we can be friends anymore. . . ok, I'm over it now. LOL

    A jerk I would have to add to this list: Ren from Andrea Cremer's Nightshade. Don't kick me please, Andrea- I just cannot like the boy. I am itching to read the next book so the author can give me a reason to like him, because even though he is a jerk, he is a hottie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the pictures, it's always nice to see these handsome faces.

    I cannot agree with you more on August.

    I am still to read Mockingjay so I can't say a thing about Gale other than I like Peeta better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Paula - Don't be hating on Ren! Those are fighting words. I suppose I can let it slide because I can't stand Jace and I know you love him. We will just have to agree to disagree.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They're total eye-candy so it's a shame we have to hate their characters so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great choices! I particularly loved Draco, Edward and Gale. I think Edward acted so superior at times. Then again, Jacob could be whiny and self-pitying. Oh the drama...lol

    And, seriously Gale- what a jerk! The last book when I wasn't sure what to think of him- his true colors really shone through. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Through this, I have discovered that I have a thing for the jerks. I always knew I liked the bad boys, but until I started thinking about this, I didn't realize that I typically end up falling for the jerks. It's true. I like a hardass. I love the guy who does what he wants when he wants to and screw what anyone else thinks.

    @Paula - I came so close to adding Ren to my list! And I am totally Team Ren! I love, love, love Ren!!!!! I'm a sucker for the jerks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that you included pictures. :)

    Edward Cullen almost made my list. Draco is a great choice, too (you're right, I think, about Tom Felton providing most of his appeal.) And Gale is a good pick as a mix of nice guy and jerk.

    ReplyDelete
  11. First, let me say I'm wiping the drool off my face as I type. Second, I'm sure some of us would love to take Jace off your hands. Where do I sign up?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We love your comments!