Weekly Lark 6/1/11

The Weekly Lark is a prompt for the imagination: something that’s just for fun. A lark is defined as “a source of or quest for amusement or adventure”. . . so let the adventure begin!

This week: Is there a book you feel you should have read by now, but you've just never picked up?

Michelle: Dracula. It's on my Nook. It may be the only book I haven't read, along with the Edwin Edwards biography that's been sitting at the bottom of my TBR pile forever.
Andrea: Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. I have it on my Kindle, and it has been recommended so many times. I keep meaning to read it, but just end up finding other books to occupy my time. On the classics side, I am ashamed to admit that I have never read Frankenstein by Mary Shelley. I really want to, though.
Julie: Dracula. 1984. Lord of the Flies. Something by Hemingway and by Faulkner. As an English teacher, I should read them but probably won't. I know enough about them to carry on an articulate conversation with most people and as long as I'm not teaching them I'm good with that.
Paula: Mine is Little Women. I've just always found other things to read instead. I also feel like a bit of a failure as a woman that I've never read any Jane Austen.
Tevya: Pride and Prejudice, Wuthering Heights and Little Women. Those are the ones I'm embarrassed to admit that I haven't read.
Tiffany: The Road by Cormac McCarthy. I'm ashamed I haven't read it. Yet.

Dear readers, we have all been giving each other a terrible time over what we've not yet read! We know you will have comments about this topic as well- go ahead and let us have it. :)


Comments

  1. I have read Outlander (love it!!!) and Pride and Prejudice, but I'm with you on the rest! I tried Wuthering Heights, but it was just so depressing... Anyways good luck with those!

    Somer @ A Bird's Eye Review

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Somer! I haven't read Outlander yet, but I read Wuthering Heights- then taught it. It really is a piece of art, but it needs to be studied to appreciate it fully, IMHO.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm trying to release the guilt of not having read books I "should" read. Life is too short and there are way too many books out there to spend time reading things I don't really want to read. Note that I said "trying". :) I still have quite a few "should" books on my list - although I think there's a difference between books I "should" read because someone else thinks they're great and books that have become so much part of the fabric of our culture that I feel uneducated for not having read them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We love your comments!