Cover Crazy: The Ballad of Tom Dooley


The purpose of Cover Crazy is to feature a cover each week for us to admire its beauty. I really like this idea since there are so many great covers out there! Cover Crazy is a meme that was started by The Book Worms.

I have an addiction to books that are set in the South or the Pacific Northwest because these are the two regions where I have actually lived. I stumbled upon The Ballad of Tom Dooley by Sharyn McCrumb the other day and was captivated by its cover. I love the Appalachian Mountains - they remind me so much of my childhood and college years so I love that you can see them in the background. The coloring and smoke like quality is spot on for the Great Smokies, a segment of the Appalachian range. The melting of the blues and greens together is gorgeous; it makes me feel peaceful and serene. I also love the woman's dress (yet another thing I love about covers - pretty dresses) and the way it looks like it is going to sway in the breeze at any moment. I want to know who this woman is and why she seems to be so captivated by the mountains as well. I want to live inside this cover! This is one that I will be reading for sure come August. Sharyn McCrumb is known for her regional stories and her ability to accurately capture the Appalachian culture, myths, and songs. I highly recommend giving her a try if you are a fan of adult novels of this nature. However, I started reading her as a teen so many young adults will find her accessible as well.

Comments

  1. Wow. You really went into some great detail on the scenario. Great pick :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this cover, it reminds me of Hattie Big Sky and I loved that book :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We love your comments!