Author Interview & Contest Winner: The Winters in Bloom

The Winters in Bloom is out in bookstores today! To celebrate the release of Lisa Tucker's latest novel, we give you an interview with Lisa and we are announcing the winner of our The Winters in Bloom contest. (Read my review of the book HERE.) Congratulations to....

Annette from Illinois
She has won a beautiful hardback copy of The Winters in Bloom.


A few words from Lisa Tucker...

When and why did you begin writing? 
I began writing in 1995, to take a break from researching my dissertation in American literature. Once I discovered how much I loved writing fiction, I never went back to grad school. 

Do you have a favorite character? 
Five-year-old Michael is probably my favorite character. I always love the children in my stories. 

Which of your characters are you most like? 
Oh, that’s a tough one. My sister thinks she’s like Kyra, which would make me like Amy, but that’s really not true, other than that I can be a tiny bit flaky. I hope I can be a mom like Sandra when my son is older. And I really identify with Hannah’s search for stories that explain cruelty. In a way, that’s what I do as a novelist. 

Is there an underlying message in your story? 
I think the underlying message is expressed in a generalized version of the flap copy: “It’s not too late to have the life you’ve dreamed of. Even if the world is full of risks, as long as you have hope, the future can bloom.” 

What was the hardest scene to write? 
The scene with Courtney in the bar, in section three; I don’t want to give too much away, but what she revealed in that bar was very hard for me to write about. 

Which book(s) have most influenced your life and/or writing career? 
In grad school, I studied 19th-century literature: big, fat novels that had great plots and a deeper meaning. Those are the kind of books I still admire. 

Do you ever experience writer’s block? If so, how do you overcome it? 
You have to come to your desk every day and keep trying. There’s no other cure for writer’s block that I’m aware of. Sometimes you just have to wait until something clicks and you find a fresh, exciting voice to tell a new story. 

Outside of family members, where do you find your biggest source of support? 
My friends are hugely supportive, especially my writer friends. They know what the process is like and cheer me on whenever I need it. 

Can you share a little bit about your next project with us? 
I wish I could, but it’s still at this fragile stage where I’m afraid if I talk about it, it will disappear. I can tell you this: it’s about a family. Of course! 


Comments

Post a Comment

We love your comments!