Book Review: Emmy's Heart

Emmy's Heart (Maldito #2)
Published By: eXtasy Books
Publication Date: November 2010
Format: Ebook
Buy it at Amazon
Source: Provided by Author
Audience: YA

Emmy's Heart, the second edition in the Maldito series, takes readers back into the lives of Emmy, Cale, and Chris as they seek to understand more about Emmy's role within the Maldito society. The Maldito, or cursed ones, are a race of vampire like hybrids. They have lengthy lives and must have blood to replenish themselves, but they are not vampires in the traditional sense. Rather, the Maldito are the vampire hunters. They seek revenge against the true vampires for the corruption that runs through their veins.

Emmy was drawn into this world in the first book when she falls in love with the handsome and mysterious Cale Cruz. This book begins right where the previous book left off. Trujillo did a nice job of putting the reader back into the right frame of mind before taking this story in some new directions. A few new characters make their debut in this one and I had to admit I liked the twists that Nathaniel and Dee presented.

A word of caution - there are quite a few hot scenes in this book. I thought they were tasteful and left most of the action to the imagination. However, I always feel the need to warn readers when this happens in YA books since some readers don't like to be surprised by things of this nature. I can promise you that a kitchen pantry will never look the same! Trujillo is a master at romance; Cale and Emmy are such a great couple.

I also enjoyed the plot of this one more than the plot from book one. I feel that Trujillo needed to lay a lot of groundwork in book one and that freed her up to focus on the action in book two. It is apparent that she has a strong grasp of her characters and vision for this series. I love watching the little nuances of the Maldito culture rise to the surface. The biology behind it all was fascinating. Trujillo's writing is also evolving as the series unfolds and moving away from the more simplistic nature. I can't wait to see how she continues to grow as a writer in her future books. There are some typos in this one, but they didn't ruin the read for me. I have become so invested in these characters that I was able to overlook the little flaws.

The Maldito Series is a must read for vampire fans!


One Last Gripe: I didn't like that Emmy was all concerned about Chris, but then when she gets to Nathaniel's it seems as if Chris doesn't matter. This didn't seem realistic to me. I honestly wasn't sure of his fate until much later.

My Favorite Thing About This Book: The ending where we get to see a fast forward into Emmy's future

First Sentence: It's morning and I can feel the warmth of his body next to mine.

Favorite Character: Emmy

Least Favorite Character: Carlos



The day she met him, Emmy thought she was meant to be with Cale Cruz. After discovering her blood was the cure to the curse his family had suffered generation after generation, she knew it was true. Now Emmy is the center of an ancient battle between vampires and Maldito, a race of half-vampire, half-humans, and is fighting for her own life.


Comments