Author Interview with S.J. Davis


S.J. Davis was kind enough to swing by the Nest to answer a few of Andrea's questions.

Andrea: What inspired you to become a writer? 

S.J. Davis: I have always been an avid reader, the kind of girl who took paperbacks with her everywhere (long before e-readers or smartphones kept us occupied). I read everything from F. Scott Fitzgerald to V.C Andrews - many times over. I also created characters in my mind and wrote "movies" in my head, usually setting the stories to music. But it was my first "real" boyfriend who told me I should write. He is a musician and thought it was crazy of me to not write. I thought it would be crazy to write! However, a decade or so later, when my children finally went to school, I had the time and the interest. I have to say, it is truly other writers that inspire me and keep me going. I need a lot of encouragement because writing is not an easy pursuit and it's very personal. Much of what I write come from experience. 

Andrea: Why focus on YA? 

S.J. Davis: I love Crossover YA, I like the intensity we feel towards people and places when we are younger. Honestly, I still feel 25 in my mind. Certainly, the "window dressing" of the young adult experience is different than when I was a kid, but the issues and feelings are the same - relationships and desires are universal and timeless. 

Andrea: Do you base your characters on real people? If not, what inspired you when you were creating them? 

S.J. Davis: Yes, my characters in INK are inspired by real people. Sparrow is very much like me, although I didn't cut myself, I had other control/destructive issues in my life that I worked through. Layne based on Layne Staley of Alice In Chains, with permission from his mother Nancy. Mateo, the spirit guide, is a composite character based on many wonderful guys I have been blessed to know. 

Andrea: Where did you get the concept behind Ink? 

S.J. Davis: I am of Native American descent on my father's side, and there was really no good YA for me to read as I grew up. There were a few very "tribal" stories but nothing mainstream. I wanted to write a story, a paranormal YA, where the main character just happens to be Native. With so many legends and myths in the Native American culture, paranormal was a great way to frame the story. 

Andrea: What is next for you writing wise? 

S.J. Davis: I just finished a short novel called Invisible Sun. It's a steampunk (victorian era/sci-fi) vampire story. It should be published this month and available on Amazon also. 

Andrea: Who are your top 5 favorite authors? 

S.J. Davis: I have really been enjoying Rue Volley's vampire sage called Blood and Light. I adore Marisa de los Santos's Belong To Me, she is a poet and each line is so evocative. I also love Emily Bronte, the poetry of John Keats, and the ideas and works of Mary Wollstonecraft. I also love Stephen King. 

Andrea: What are you currently reading? 

S.J. Davis:  I am just finishing The Forest of Hands and Teeth, by Carrie Ryan. I am late to the zombie party but I love her story! 

Andrea: Any words of wisdom for all the aspiring authors out there? 

S.J. Davis: I think everyone finds their own way once they decide to dive in and go for it. For me, meeting people on twitter and facebook helped my journey. It's how I found my publisher and where I made friends with many Indie writers. I couldn't live without them now. 

Andrea: At Reading Lark, we love our birds. So, what's your favorite bird? Why? 

S.J. Davis: I love the cardinal! It's a bright red bird and I always feel so hopeful about life whenever I see one. Maybe because I love to wear bright colors, I relate to this bird! 

Andrea: Where can our readers go to learn more about your and your work?

S.J. Davis: Anyone can find me on twitter @steampunksarah or find INK on facebook! Thank you!!

Comments

  1. Thank you for the fun interview and for reading INK! Your comments were right on. Others have wanted a "fuller" version so I am starting to outline and flesh things further. Thanks again for your support, this is an AWESOME page!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by, Sarah! Keep us posted on your future endeavors. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We love your comments!