Book Review: Frost

Frost (Stork #2)
Published By: Candlewick Press
Publication Date: October 11, 2011
Page Count: 384
Buy it at Amazon or IndieBound
Source: ARC was a gift from Christin @ Portrait of a Book
Audience: Young Adult

I absolutely loved Stork so I was super excited to get my hands on this sequel. Spending more time with Kat and Jack was high on my priority list. I didn't really go into this expecting anything other than more myths, engaging writing, and fun characters. Frost certainly delivered on this front and was an excellent sequel. I didn't instantly love it like I did with Stork, but once everything was said and done I loved this one just as much. Frost is the perfect winter read. I am actually considering rereading it when the snow begins to fall and I am curled up somewhere cozy with a peppermint hot chocolate.

Frost picks up pretty much where Stork left off. Kat is still attending to her storkly duties and navigating through her high school existence in Norse Falls, Minnesota. However, now that she's not the new girl in town any longer she has a tight circle of friends and a super hot boyfriend that just happens to control the weather. Life is looking up for Kat as her dad moves from California to start his new business in town and her mom is full of joy as she waits on the arrival of Kat's baby sister. However, mysterious events are underfoot and visitors begin to descend on the town. Who can be trusted? Who should be avoided? Kat must find out for sure who means her harm before something tragic befalls those she loves most.

I think part of the reason I love this series so much is that I knew basically nothing about Norse mythology and Icelandic culture before reading these books. Learning new things from fiction is always exciting for me. It stirs up my imagination and inspires me to do further research. Furthermore, Frost draws heavily upon the work of Hans Christian Anderson - particularly the tale of the Snow Queen. I wasn't totally familiar with this story, but I found she is very similar to the character of the Winter Witch from the Chronicles of Narnia - cold, driven by a lust for power, doesn't care who she hurts in the process of getting her goal. In addition, Frost also gave some attention to some of my favorite mythical creatures - the Selkie. I don't see them in stories very often so it was interesting to see how Delsol chose to use their legend within the plot.

In addition, Frost allows the reader to see more of the mythological world that surrounds Kat and Jack beyond the Storks. In fact, the Stork work almost takes a backseat to everything else that is happening in this book. The only thing that really bothered me about that was that I didn't get to spend much time with Hulda, who was one of my favorite characters in the first book. I missed getting her little snippets of wisdom throughout the book. I hope to see more of the Storks in the next book. However, I did enjoy learning more about Jack's gift and the segments of the book that took place in Iceland. I found it fascinating to learn more about Kat's family history and culture. Iceland has always been one of those intriguing places that I hope to visit someday. Delsol does a beautiful job of transporting the reader to the locale.

What truly makes these reads great other than Delsol's writing style is the characters. I adore Kat and Jack. Their relationship is so sweet and has just the right amount of spice. I wish that I had known a boy like Jack in high school, but sadly I don't know that boys like him actually exist. The devotion between Jack and Kat is so endearing. I also love how their personalities are so different yet they compliment each other so well. Their interactions make this series incredibly addictive. 

If you haven't read these books yet and you're a fan of YA or mythology - then head on over to your favorite bookseller right now and pick up Stork. You can also check out my review of Stork right here on Reading Lark if you need more convincing evidence.


One Last Gripe: I need to know what's going on with Afi. He's acting strange, but this is not resolved in the book.

My Favorite Thing About This Book: The lore behind everything - so fascinating!

First Sentence: There was one thing, and one thing only, that could coax me into striped red tights, a fur vest, and an elf cap: Jack Snjosson.

Favorite Character: Kat

Least Favorite Character: Brigid



In this sequel to STORK, Katla Leblanc has to employ her grit, spirit, and special gifts to rescue the boy she loves.
After the drama of finding out that she’s a Stork, a member of an ancient and mystical order of women, and that her boyfriend, Jack, is a descendent of the Winter People able to control the weather, Katla Leblanc is delighted when all signs point to a busy and peaceful Christmas. That is, until the snowstorm Jack summons as a gift to Katla turns into the storm of the century, attracting Brigid, a gorgeous scientist who, in turn, attracts Jack. Between the school play, a bedridden, pregnant mother’s to-do lists, and keeping an eye on her aging grandfather, Katla doesn’t have time to question Brigid’s motives or deal with Jack’s increasingly cold behavior. But Katla’s suspicions mount when Jack joins Brigid on a research expedition to Greenland, and when the two of them go missing, it becomes clear that Katla is the only one who can save her beloved Jack from the Snow Queen who holds him prisoner. Adventure, romance, and myth combine in this winter escapade for teens who like a bit of fire with their ice.

Comments