Weekly Lark 11/2/11




The Weekly Lark is a prompt for the imagination: something that’s just for fun. A lark is defined as “a source of or quest for amusement or adventure”. . . so let the adventure begin!

This week: Share a story about when reading created an embarrassing situation for you.

Andrea: Everyone I work with hates Twilight with a passion. I've had to keep my former obsession under wraps.
Tevya: The very first time that my local (state) group of TwilightMOMs met in person, we decided to meet at a mall. For some reason, all 12 of us thought nothing of wearing our Twilight t-shirts. One other mom and myself had purchased the blinged-out rhinestone Twilight Moms shirts and wore them proudly. As we were all sitting in the food court that day, a group of young girls walked past us snickering and we could hear them murmuring, "I would DIE if my mom wore that." The best part of it was that one of the girls had on a Twilight jacket and the other was carrying a Team Edward bag. Still, we were horrified, and neither of us have worn that shirt since.
 Michelle:  I'm pretty shameless and hard to embarrass. At my house, we have a large workshop dubbed the ManCave. When it gets cold outside, we adults sometimes hang out in there because the actual house is pretty small. My husband often has co-workers and friends stop by, so I take unholy joy in leaving my books in there, with shirtless Highlanders and the most cheese-tastic titles. I did get red-faced when one jokester decided to crack one open and start reading a smutty scene out loud.
Tiffany: One day I was called in to sub, but I didn't take it because I had things to do. My daughter went to school and told the teachers I couldn't sub because I was sitting on the couch reading books about naked men and drinking coffee and alcohol! Nice.
Julie: During my student teaching I had the kdis fill out a "Getting to Know You" sheet. One of the questions was about their favorite book. One girl put a Dark Hunters series book as hers. Without thinking about it, I commented that I'd just read the first three. Her eyes got really big, and I'm sure I turned three shades of red when I realized what I'd just admitted to one of my students. ;)

I don't think I can even compete with these stories, so I'm just going to tip-toe away. . .

Comments