Guest Post & Giveaway with Georgia Cates
We'd like to welcome Georgia Cates, author of Blood of Anteros, to the Nest today. She's also offering up an eBook copy of her book to one of our followers. So be sure to check out the giveaway info at the end of this post.
The Phenomenon of Reader’s Regret by Georgia Cates
I think we can all agree that with the exception of a few men, women dominate the romance genre. Women write it, women purchase it, and women review it, so it isn’t surprising to see most romance novels are not written from the males’ point of view. I see a growing demand for readers requesting the same story from a different character’s point of view, usually the male’s point of view because it was originally written from the woman’s point of view. I chose to write Blood of Anteros from Curry’s point of view, not only because he is male, but also the vampire in this complicated relationship between a human and vampire. I wanted my reader to discover the surprise of his feelings as he discovers them for himself.
Let’s get point of view straight before we go further. I’ll make this lesson brief for those of you that hated english and lit. Point of view is the narrator’s vantage point.
First-Person Point of View: Me, Myself and I The narrator is one of the characters and explains everything through his or her own eyes using words like I, me, my, and mine. This narrator doesn’t know other character’s thoughts, although the reader will see directly into the mind of the narrator. This POV allows the story to feel more like reality and gives it a more personal appeal. The reader knows only as much as the narrator knows and he or she may withhold information to create tension and suspense.
Third-Person Limited Point of View: The narrator tells the story from one character’s view using the words like he, him, she, her, they, and them. The narrator knows what one character thinks and feels, but limited to what others say and do. The narrator can provide readers with more information about characters and events than first person POV.
Third-Person Omniscient Point of View: Knowing It All The narrator looks through the eyes of all characters, but is not a character in the novel. The narrator is “all-knowing.” It gives a full view of all events and character.
What are the benefits to First Person Point of View? The thunder before the lightning. The breath before the kiss. The anticipation of what could happen. I get the most satisfaction out of experiencing the emotions and feelings of a character. I want to know his or her thoughts inside and out and I think that’s why we are seeing a growth in books being rewritten from another’s view. More specifically, we as women want to know how the male heroine truly feels about the woman he loves. We read to escape reality for a brief time into a fantasy world created by an author.
What causes readers to demand the rewriting of a completed story? I call it Reader’s Regret and it is intoxicating. It’s how awesome novels end. It causes readers to flip back to the front of the book to begin rereading what he or she just finished because once could never be enough. I define Reader’s Regret as that sickening feeling experienced when the reader realizes the story has come to an end, yet they want more. Wow! If you haven’t experienced Reader’s Regret, you’ve been reading the wrong books.
I’d love to hear your thoughts on Reader’s Regrets. Please list any books that you read and loved so much it made you sick to be finished with them. I’m always looking for my next great Reader Regret read.
Georgia Cates Links:
Georgia Cates Blog
Georgia Cates on Facebook
georgiacates on Twitter
Blood of Anteros on Goodreads
Book_Trailer
Links to Purchase Blood of Anteros:
Amazon
Barnes&Noble
Smashwords
iBooks
Book Trailer Links:
http://youtu.be/_LbJpi3vEOA
The Phenomenon of Reader’s Regret by Georgia Cates
I think we can all agree that with the exception of a few men, women dominate the romance genre. Women write it, women purchase it, and women review it, so it isn’t surprising to see most romance novels are not written from the males’ point of view. I see a growing demand for readers requesting the same story from a different character’s point of view, usually the male’s point of view because it was originally written from the woman’s point of view. I chose to write Blood of Anteros from Curry’s point of view, not only because he is male, but also the vampire in this complicated relationship between a human and vampire. I wanted my reader to discover the surprise of his feelings as he discovers them for himself.
Let’s get point of view straight before we go further. I’ll make this lesson brief for those of you that hated english and lit. Point of view is the narrator’s vantage point.
First-Person Point of View: Me, Myself and I The narrator is one of the characters and explains everything through his or her own eyes using words like I, me, my, and mine. This narrator doesn’t know other character’s thoughts, although the reader will see directly into the mind of the narrator. This POV allows the story to feel more like reality and gives it a more personal appeal. The reader knows only as much as the narrator knows and he or she may withhold information to create tension and suspense.
Third-Person Limited Point of View: The narrator tells the story from one character’s view using the words like he, him, she, her, they, and them. The narrator knows what one character thinks and feels, but limited to what others say and do. The narrator can provide readers with more information about characters and events than first person POV.
Third-Person Omniscient Point of View: Knowing It All The narrator looks through the eyes of all characters, but is not a character in the novel. The narrator is “all-knowing.” It gives a full view of all events and character.
What are the benefits to First Person Point of View? The thunder before the lightning. The breath before the kiss. The anticipation of what could happen. I get the most satisfaction out of experiencing the emotions and feelings of a character. I want to know his or her thoughts inside and out and I think that’s why we are seeing a growth in books being rewritten from another’s view. More specifically, we as women want to know how the male heroine truly feels about the woman he loves. We read to escape reality for a brief time into a fantasy world created by an author.
What causes readers to demand the rewriting of a completed story? I call it Reader’s Regret and it is intoxicating. It’s how awesome novels end. It causes readers to flip back to the front of the book to begin rereading what he or she just finished because once could never be enough. I define Reader’s Regret as that sickening feeling experienced when the reader realizes the story has come to an end, yet they want more. Wow! If you haven’t experienced Reader’s Regret, you’ve been reading the wrong books.
I’d love to hear your thoughts on Reader’s Regrets. Please list any books that you read and loved so much it made you sick to be finished with them. I’m always looking for my next great Reader Regret read.
Georgia Cates Links:
Georgia Cates Blog
Georgia Cates on Facebook
georgiacates on Twitter
Blood of Anteros on Goodreads
Book_Trailer
Links to Purchase Blood of Anteros:
Amazon
Barnes&Noble
Smashwords
iBooks
Book Trailer Links:
http://youtu.be/_LbJpi3vEOA
Giveaway Time! One lucky Reading Lark reader will win a eBook copy of Blood of Anteros.
* You must be a Reading Lark follower
* You must be 13+ years old
* You must fill out the Blood of Anteros Giveaway form!
* Leaving a comment on this post will earn you +3 entries into the giveaway.
One winner will be chosen using random.org. The contest runs from December 20-27.

Thanks for the giveaway!!!
ReplyDeleteSarah Green
beofgoodcheer85 at yahoo dot com
I have to admit that my biggest reader regrets were:
ReplyDeleteThe Twilight saga
And the Harry Potter series
It almost killed me that they both had ended...I just wanted them to go on and on...I was SO invested in both of them, lol
Thank you so much for this wonderful giveaway opportunity! Blood of Anteros sounds fascinating, and I'd love to read it!
Gena Robertson
robertsongena@hotmail.com
Just wanted to stop by and leave a special thank you to Reading Lark for the opportunity to be featured on such a wonderful blog and I hope you all have a fabulous holiday.
ReplyDeleteThanks again,
Georgia
@Georgia - Thank you for such a great guest post and the giveaway. I want to read the book, but my review list if out of control. I will get to it one day - promise. :)
ReplyDelete