Teaser Tuesday: How to Eat a Cupcake, The Iron Knight, Legend, Persuasion, & Hallowed


Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly feature, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading.

    I had, I'll admit, affected a certain style - a method, if you will - of cupcake eating. To begin, you remove the cupcake liner carefully so as not to unnecessarily crumble the cake, and set it aside. You then turn the cupcake slowly in your hand, taking bites along the line where cake meets icing, your mouth filling with a perfect combination of both components.
    ~ How to Eat a Cupcake by Meg Donohue, Kindle Location 395 (Galley Edition)


    "I've never forgotten, prince." Puck watched me with solemn eyes glowing green in the sudden darkness. Lightning flashed through the trees again, and thunder growled an answer. Puck's next words were nearly lost in the wind. "You're not the only one with regrets."
    ~ The Iron Knight by Julie Kagawa, pg. 47

    I have to force myself to keep enough distance between us so that he doesn't know I'm following him. A part of me recalls the way he saved me from the Skiz fight, that he had helped me heal this burning wound in my side, that his hands had been so gentle. I want to scream at him. I want to hate him for confusing me so much. Stupid boy!
    ~ Legend by Marie Lu, pg. 148

    "The notions of a young man of one or two and twenty," said he, "as to what is necessary in manners to make him quite the thing, are more absurd, I believe, than those of any other set of beings in the world. The folly of the means they often employ is only to be equaled by the folly of what they have in view."
    ~ Persuasion by Jane Austen, pg. 141

    Tucker looks over my shoulder and and seems to notice Christian for the first time. 
    "How you doing, Chris? Have a nice summer?" he asks.
    "Yeah, fantastic," answers Christian, and his mind suddenly retreats from mine into a wave of forced indifference. "How about you?"
    They stare at each other, one of those high testosterone stares. 
    "Amazing," Tucker says. There's a challenge in his voice. "Best summer of my life."
    I wonder if its too late to get out of this class.
    "Well, that's the thing about summers, isn't it?" says Christian after a minute. "They have to end sometime."
    ~ Hallowed by Cynthia Hand, pg. 11-12




Comments

  1. Oh, I hope you enjoy Persuasion! It's my favorite of Austen's novels.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We love your comments!