Book Review: Delta Legend

Delta Legend
Published by Kelan O'Connell
Release Date: Nov. 8, 2011
Genre: YA adventure
Source: Kindly Provided by Author
Buy it on Amazon
My thoughts: 


I was so pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed reading Delta Legend. This book was another nice change from my normal choice of reading material. I read tons of girl-centered YA paranormal/fantasy; this one I would classify as a boy-centered YA adventure/fantasy. I was hooked when I got about 15% into the book- when I realized that the eclectic collection of characters and the flavor of the humor reminded me of one of my favorite movies growing up: Tremors. 


The story centers on a young man from an urban setting, who, through some misadventures, winds up getting sent to spend a summer in the sticks. While there he learns a few things about himself, as well as the local culture and the history of the region, which is at least partly based on fact. At first I was worried that I was getting into something scary; I don't do scary that well. There are a few scenes, a few descriptions of some pretty brutal deaths, that gave those early pages some creep factor. The suspense of those passages, before the reader really knows what is going on, was more fun than scary, though- like a roller coaster, you know that it's all in the name of entertainment. 


 This book is an exceptionally well-done self-pub. The plotting, characterization, and pacing are all very tight and tidy. I found no more grammatical issues than would appear in a published ARC; it was, stylistically, very clean. The humor really makes the adventure theme sparkle, and the original concept makes this a refreshing read in a marketplace flooded with cookie-cutter renditions of the same old product. 


 This book is a great bargain; it's currently selling for $2.99! If you're looking for something original and fun for your e-reader, I would recommend this book wholeheartedly. 




 Summary from GoodReads: 


When 16-year-old Oakland California teenager, Calvin Pierce, makes a bad decision and winds up getting arrested, his mother is quick to take action. Determined not to lose a second son to the drug and gang violence of the inner city, she sends Calvin to spend the summer working for his great uncle in the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta. 


 There in the predominately-white region of agriculture and recreational boating, Calvin’s a fish out of water with a chip on his shoulder. But when severed body parts start floating to the surface, his summer of proving himself takes on new meaning. 


 Something deadly is lurking in the deep, murky waterways of the Delta. Now the daunting task of containing the living incarnation of a mythical creature falls to Calvin and his ragtag posse of oddball characters.



Comments