Book BFF was created by Larks Andrea, Paula, and Jen to showcase some of our favorite ladies & was originally inspired by Book Boyfriend. We'd love it if you'd join us featuring your favorite Book BFFs and leaving links so we can check out your posts. We will be alternating between Book Boyfriends and Book BFFs on Thursdays.
This week my Book BFF is Meghan Chase from Julie Kagawa's Iron Fey Series.
My ideal Meghan is Taylor Swift.
Nickname: 'Princess' is Puck's favourite name for Meghan, much to her chagrin. Her six year old brother, Ethan, calls her Meggie.
"She wore jeans and a white shirt, and her long, pale hair was tied in a ponytail, falling softly down her back. Her body was slender, more energetic than graceful..." ~ Described by Ash (p. 104, ebook version of The Iron Knight)
At the start of the story, Meghan is just a plain, unassuming girl with pale blonde, flyaway hair resigned to hand-me-downs and ratty clothes because her family cannot afford anything designer like the other kids in school. Once she enters the Nevernever, and discovers the truth about her lineage, she sees for herself in the mirror as the half-faery she really is. Her skin is paler, the bones of her face sharper, and her eyes appear to be enormous (like a deer in the headlights). And through her hair, she also notices two long pointed ears.
Facts about Meghan:
- 16 yr old Meghan lived on a Louisiana pig farm with her mother, stepfather and half-brother, Ethan. Her life was pretty simple... looking forward to getting her driver's license and hopefully being noticed by the boy she is madly crushing on in school.
- Her best friend is Robbie Goodfell (aka Puck, aka Robin Goodfellow).
- She soon finds out that she is a half-faery princess and her father is none other than King Oberon.
- Meghan soon finds that two boys are very much in love with her; Ash -- the icy prince of the winter court, and Puck -- summer court prankster ordered to keep Meghan safe while living in the mortal realm.
- In order to save the Nevernever from being totally engulfed by the iron realm, Meghan bravely sacrificed herself and fulfilled her destiny in becoming The Iron Queen after killing the original Iron King, Ferrum.
- Ash loved Meghan so much that he denounced his rightful place in the winter court as a successor to his mother, Queen Mab, and went on an impossible journey to find a way to return to Meghan's side in the iron realm.
Quotes (*all quotes were found on Goodreads from The Iron Queen):
"I learned that love can transcend race and time, and that it can be beautiful and perfect and worth fighting for but also fragile and heartbreaking, and sometimes sacrifice is necessary. That sometimes it's you against the world, and there are no easy answers. That you have to know when to hold on...and when to let go. And even if that love comes back, you could discover something in someone else who has been there all along." ~ Meghan
"But ... but what if I hit you?"
A snort. "You're not going to hit me."
"How do you know?" I bristled at his amused tone. "I could hit you. Even master swordsmen make mistakes. I could get a lucky shot, or you might not see me coming. I don't want to hurt you."
He favored me with another patient look. "And how much experience do you have with swords and weapons in general?"
"Um." I glanced down at the saber in my hand. "Thirty seconds?"
He smiled, that calm, irritatingly confident smirk. "You're not going to hit me." ~ Meghan & Ash
"A little warning would've been nice. You couldn't have said, 'Hey, as part of your training today, I'm going to beat you senseless?" ~ Meghan
Why would I want Meghan to be my BFF:
Simply put... she is just someone I would want on my side. I admire her courageousness and determination to fulfill what she sets out to do. She is just the sort of person who brings out the best in everyone around her and I cannot help but want to be around someone like that. She sacrifices so much for the greater good and for those she loves with the passion of a warrior. You know she will stand with you, against the world, if she was able.
What she is not is full of herself once she learns of her lineage. She is honest and grounded. Meghan came from humble beginnings but when she found out her destiny -- to rule the Iron Fey -- she stayed true to herself and did not let all that power go to her head.
You know to hang out with Meghan, life will never be boring and you've got a friend for life.