Book Boyfriend: Jay Heaton
We decided that Thursday needed a little pizazz and stumbled on this meme while hanging out at one of our favorite blogs, A Book and a Cupcake. So we took ourselves over to The Unread Reader to see what it was all about and join the fun. We'd love it if you'd leave a comment if you participate in this so we can check out your book boyfriends as well.
Jay Heaton from the Body Finder Series by Kimberly Derting
My ideal Jay is Josh Slack.
* Likes to wear hoodies & backpacks.
* Silly sideways grin
* Strong arms, big shoulders
Details of Jay’s appearance are actually kind of sparse, which I LOVE because it allows me to dream up the perfect boy... I like to think he looks a little like Josh Slack – dark eyes, floppy dark hair... but you can feel free to dream up your own perfect Jay!
Facts about Jay:
* Best friends with Violet since they were 6 years old
* Violet dared Jay to kiss Chelsea Morrison at recess, causing all 3 to be spoken to by the principal.
* First kissed Violet in 5th grade, but immediately both swore off kissing because they were so grossed out.
* Played with Violet in the woods about their homes a lot as a child.
* Gracious in the face of defeat by Violet.
* Helped Violet bury dead things without question from an early age because he seemed to understand her gifts.
* Driven to school every day by Violet.
* Went unnoticed by girls for most of his life, but suddenly ‘got hot’ over a summer break and started attracting a fan club at school, including the most popular girl in school, Lissie Adams.
* Insists on carrying Violet home when she fell down, and looked after her scrapes too.
“He loved her. Jay Heaton, her best friend since childhood was in love with her. He didn't say it but she knew that it was true. And the part that really freaked her out, the part that caught her completely off guard, is that he wasn't alone. Because even though she'd been denying it for a long, long time, it had always been there... waiting beneath the surface of their friendship. And now that it was out there was no going back. And it was so weird to even be thinking it but...... she was in love with him too.” The Body Finder – Kimberly Derting
“I was just waiting for you to want me as much as I wanted you.” His words were quiet but carried one hell of an impact. “I knew we were going to be together; it was just a matter of time. I kept hoping that you would figure it out. But for a smart girl, you’re a little dense, Vi. I kept bringing up Lissie Adams, and showing you the notes she was leaving me, hoping that you’d get pissed enough to finally admit how you felt about me.” The Body Finder – Kimberly Derting
“He reached out, capturing her hand in his. He laced his fingers casually through hers. Violet leaned against him and the calm finally came, settling over her peacefully. And then he kissed her. Gently. Softly. Not on the lips, as she'd imagined so many times before, but on her forehead. The gesture was sweet and a little possessive. Violet hoped, maybe, it was a start.” The Body Finder – Kimberly Derting
“He nudged her with his shoulder but didn’t say anything. They stayed like that for a while, enjoying the silence of being alone and enjoying each other’s presence. It was easy... and comfortable.” The Body Finder – Kimberly Derting
"I can't lose you," he explained, shrugging as if those weren't the most wonderful words she'd ever heard before. "Not now that I finally have you." The Body Finder – Kimberly Derting
Why he’s my Book Boyfriend:
I am such a sucker for the best-friend-turned-boyfriend. Jay is a great example. He knows Violet, he understands her, he is happy with her just the way she is, and he loves her enough to let her be herself. He also shows remarkable patience, as the quotes show above; he lets Violet realize in her own time that she loves him, although he does help her wake up a little by threatening to go out with another girl. I would also like to throw in that it is clear from the narrative that he is an *awesome* kisser too, which wouldn’t hurt one bit. He frequently has to be the one to cut short a romantic interlude before it goes too far, which also makes him the perfect gentleman. In short, he is my ideal man. *sigh*