Book Review: Take Me There

Take Me There
Narrated By: MacLeod Andrews, Angela Dawe, & Sarah Grace
Published By: Brilliance Audio
Publication Date: June 2011
Audio Length: 8 hours, 10 minutes
Source: Library
Audience: Young Adult - Contemporary

On The Story & Writing:

I have seen Susane Colasanti's books many times before, but I never took the initiative to give them more than a passing glance. I decided to give this one a try on audio. I really wasn't sure what to expect - based on the blurb I was thinking something along the lines of Sarah Dessen or Lauren Barnholdt. Perhaps I set my expectations too high. I love Dessen and Barnholdt's work so it would be hard for another author to live up to their level for me. I found Take Me There to have many merits that made it enjoyable, but they weren't enough to make me want to rush out and pick up another Colasanti book.

I really had trouble connecting with these characters. The book bounces between three narrators: Rhiannon, Nicole, and James. Each segment gives you a chance to get inside of the head of the characters while interacting with the others. Rhiannon bothered me because she was so caught up in her breakup. I can understand being heart broken, but the guy dumped her and was kind of a jerk. I never saw his appeal, thus her whining, was just annoying. Nicole's story line creeped me out. I understood her actions by the time the story ended, but the journey there wasn't a happy one. I did appreciate how loyal she was to Rhiannon. Finally, there is James. He is your typical intelligent, cute best friend type. He spent most of the book complaining about how small his apartment was and how he could never escape the constant prying eyes of his family. James' other favorite activity is daydreaming about how massive his house will be when he becomes wealthy as an adult. Frankly, I was bored through a significant portion of this book.

One element I did really enjoy about this book is the setting - New York City. Colasanti obviously knows the city well. She paints a vivid picture of NYC living and made me want to take a trip there. I loved the little details about the neighborhoods the characters lived in - like the Magnolia bakery where Rhiannon and James stop to get cupcakes. As a cupcake lover, these parts of the book appealed to me greatly. I also found the whole concept of growing up in such a busy place to be interesting. It is so different from the experience I had as a teen growing up in a southern suburb.

This book is one where a YA book fails to reach a broader audience. Yes, I am an adult who loves YA books. But this one has taught me that sometimes I should just leave them on the shelf. I could see teen girls really enjoying this book. There was nothing wrong with writing and many teens will relate to the characters, but I just couldn't get into it. I feel like I would have enjoyed this book more if it had focused on one narrator instead of jumping around so much. I also wonder if I would have enjoyed another work by Colasanti more or if they all live within this same sort of realm. This one was just not my cup of tea.

On the Audio:

The narrators did an admirable job. I really liked that each distinct character had their own narrator. It made the read a lot more entertaining to listen to. I wish that more books were done in this style. The format of the book could be hard to follow at times in this format. The next character segment didn't always pick up right where the previous one left off; there were a lot of time shifts.



One Last Gripe: I was frustrated that it took so long for me to hear Gloria's note to Jackson

My Favorite Thing About This Book: I really liked the parts where James was helping his elderly neighbor. Their relationship was endearing.

First Sentence: My love could not possibly suck more than it does right now.

Favorite Character: Danny

Least Favorite Character: Steve



Set during one life-altering week and told in three realistic perspectives, this engaging, witty novel by the author of "When It Happens" shows the ups and downs of love, friendship--and karma.


Comments