Book BFF: Tessa Gray


Book BFF was created by Larks Andrea, Paula, and Jen to showcase some of our favorite ladies & was originally inspired by Book Boyfriend. We'd love it if you'd join us featuring your favorite Book BFFs and leaving links so we can check out your posts. We will be alternating between Book Boyfriends and Book BFFs on Thursdays. 

This week my Book BFF is Tessa Gray
from Cassandra Clare's The Infernal Devices Trilogy
Book 1:  Clockwork Angel / Book 2:  Clockwork Prince

Tessa's Appearance (quoted in Clockwork Angel, p. 17):

She hadn't always flinched from her reflection.  Nate, with his fair good looks, was the one in the family generally agreed to have inherited her mother's beauty, but Tessa had always been perfectly content with her own smooth brown hair and steady gray eyes.  Jane Eyre had had brown hair, and plenty of other heroines besides.  And it wasn't so bad being tall, either--taller than most of the boys her own age, it was true, but Aunt Harriet had always said that as long as a tall woman carried herself well, she would forever look regal."


Facts about Tessa:

~ At the age of 16, Tessa traveled to London, England from New York City to be with her brother Nathaniel (Nate) after their Aunt Harriet's unexpected death.

~ Her given name is Theresa Gray but is most often called Tessa, Tess and Tessie.

~ Tessa and Nate's parents died when they were both very young in a carriage accident.

~ A 'clockwork angel' pendant that Tessa is seldom separated from once belonged to her mother and has always been a source of comfort to her with its gentle ticking.

~ Unbeknownst to Tessa until her arrival in London, she possesses a rare supernatural ability to shape-shift.

~ Tessa attracts the attention of best friends and parabatai William Herondale and Jem Carstairs.

~ Tessa loves to read with a passion.

~ One of her all-time favourites is A Tale of Two Cities.

~ She hates chocolate, much to the horror of Will Herondale.

~ Tessa soon discovers while being held captive by the Dark Sisters that she is betrothed to the mysterious Magister. 

Quotes from/about Tessa (all quotes from Goodreads):

“I see you're determined to miss my point."
"If you're point is that there was a pretty girl in the room and it was distracting you, then I think I've taken your point handily."
"You think she's pretty?" Will was surprised; Jem rarely opinioned this sort of thing.
"Yes, and you do too."
"I hadn't noticed, really."
"Yes, you have, and I've noticed you noticing.” ~ Jem and Will discussing Tessa

~

“One must always be careful of books," said Tessa, "and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”

~

For a moment he was silent. Then, "You," he said, half reluctantly. "You make me laugh. From the moment you hit me with that bottle."
"It was a jug," she said automatically.
His lips quirked up at the corners. "Not to mention the way you always correct me. With that funny look on your face when you do it. And the way you shouted at Gabriel Lightwood. And even the way you talked back to de Quincey. You make me..." He broke off, looking at her, and she wondered if she looked the way she felt - stunned and breathless.”  ~ Tessa and Will

~

“If you do not help me," Tessa said to Jem, "I swear, I will change into you, and I will lift him myself. And then everyone here will see what you look like in a dress." She fixed him with a look. "Do you understand?” 

Why Tessa Is My Book BFF: 

Tessa is kind, courageous and smart... and she has a great sense of humour, too!  She's also forgiving, which is put to the test often enough around her new Shadowhunter friends and her brother Nate.  She has an inner strength that she draws upon when faced with dire situations. Tessa is brave and selfless and does what she must to help ease the suffering of the people she cares for at her own expense.  She is someone I would be grateful to have in my corner! 

 Who Do I Picture as Tessa:

I don't think I've ever related Tessa to any one particular celebrity.  But the portrayal of Tessa in the book trailer for Clockwork Prince was very accurate.  But since the cover of Clockwork Princess was released, I find she is the perfect image of Tessa.


Comments