Book BFF was created by Larks Andrea, Paula, and Jen to showcase some of our favorite ladies & was originally inspired by Book Boyfriend. We'd love it if you'd join us featuring your favorite Book BFFs and leaving links so we can check out your posts. We will be alternating between Book Boyfriends and Book BFFs on Thursdays.
Mercedes Thompson from Moon Called by Patricia Briggs
* Average height – 5’6”
* Long straight brown hair, which she often braids
* Tanned skin, probably because her father was a Native American
* Well defined physique due to karate and working in her autoshop
* She has a tattoo of a coyote paw print on her belly to remind her to be herself
Facts about Mercy:
* She is a “walker” - a shape-shifting coyote.
* She has heightened senses, and can smell fear as well as sense dominance.
* Her father was also a shifter, but he died before she was born, leaving her mother to try and raise her... something that didn’t work out so well.
* She has a Manx cat called Medea.
* She was raised by a pack of werewolves and has a good understanding of how to deal with them and stay alive.
* Mercy left the pack territory at an early age and learned to fend for herself.
* She switched from Mechanical Engineering to a History major at college, but ended up as a mechanic running her own shop.
* Her ex-boss is a gremlin.
“Happiness is German engineering, Italian cooking, and Belgian chocolate.”
“His voice was soft and sweet as molasses; but my mother once told me that you had to trust that the first thing out of a person's mouth was truth. After they have a chance to think about it, they'll change what they say to be more socially acceptable, something they think you'll be happier with, something that will get the results they want.”
“Mine" he said. Adam's eyes narrowed. "I don't think so. She is mine." It would of been flattering, I thought, except that at least one of them was talking about dinner and I wasn't certain about the other.”
“C’est moi, c’est moi,’tis I,' I told him. It seemed appropriately melodramatic, though I didn’t know if he’d catch the reference. I shouldn’t have worried. Unexpectedly, he laughed. “Trust you to quote Lancelot rather than Guinevere.”
“A werewolf tossed me against a giant packing crate while I was trying to rescue a frightened young girl who'd been kidnapped by an evil witch and a drug lord.”
Why she’s my Book BFF:
Mercy is a resourceful character who is very much living in a man’s world. She grew up in werewolf society, where women have virtually no status until they are mated to a male, and then they take their status from him. So she is used to dealing with guys who think they are better than her. She is stubborn and likes to remind them that she isn’t pack and doesn’t have to listen to their ways, or put up with their rubbish. She doesn’t like to be left at home when she could be helping, and she is certainly brave. She is kind, but not a fool, and she helps people less fortunate than her.