Short Story Review: Roar and Liv

Roar and Liv (Under the Never Sky #0.5)
Published By: HarperCollins
Publication Date: October 2012
Page Count: 68
Buy it at Amazon or Barnes & Noble
Source: Purchased by Reviewer
Audience: Young Adult - Science Fiction, Dystopian

I'm not always a fan of  Science Fiction or Dystopian novels, but there is something about Veronica Rossi's writing that I find addicting. I devoured Under the Never Sky and couldn't wait to return to Perry and Aria's world. I love these characters like they are old friends and love spending time with them. In Under the Never Sky, Roar quickly became one of my favorites. I was so excited to see that he would get his own short story. I was also intrigued by his love for Liv and wanted to know more about their relationship. This short story provides the background on Roar and Liv that I was seeking.

This snippet showcases the romance between Roar and Liv. They are so cute together; their relationship is realistic and sweet. Everything starts to fall apart when Liv's older brother and Blood Lord of the Tides, Vale, promises her in marriage to the leader of a tribe in the North. In exchange for Liv's hand in marriage, Vale will receive enough food to help his people survive. Roar is furious; he cannot imagine Liv belonging to another man. To make matters worse, Sable, the Northern Blood Lord, is known for his cruelty. 

The pain at their imminent separation is evident and made my heart hurt for both Roar and Liv. Each of them handles the situation differently. Roar becomes increasingly violent and outspoken while Liv escapes within herself.

This is just a tiny glimpse into  Roar's world, but it is one I enjoyed. I have a better understanding of the depth of his feelings for Liv. I now know the lengths he would go to in order to bring her home. Her absence is also sure to cause some conflict in book two, Through The Ever Night. If you have not read this series yet, I'd highly recommend that you change that ASAP.


One Last Gripe: I wanted more! This was far too short for my tastes. I did immediately begin reading Through The Ever Night the moment I was done so I could continue getting my Roar and Perry fix.

My Favorite Thing About This Short Story: Getting more back-story on some of my favorite characters

First Sentence: I make my move when the tribe is asleep.

Favorite Character: It's a tie between Roar and Perry.

Least Favorite Character: Brooke



Before Perry and Aria, there was Roar and Liv.

After a childhood spent wandering the borderlands, Roar finally feels like he has a home with the Tides. His best friend Perry is like a brother to him, and Perry's sister, Liv, is the love of his life. But Perry and Liv's unpredictable older brother, Vale, is the Blood Lord of the Tides, and he has never looked kindly on Roar and Liv's union. Normally, Roar couldn't care less about Vale's opinion. But with food running low and conditions worsening every day, Vale's leadership is more vital—and more brutal—than ever. Desperate to protect his tribe, Vale makes a decision that will shatter the life Roar knew and change the fate of the Tides forever.

Comments