Book Review: The Infinite Moment of Us

The Infinite Moment of Us
Published By: Amulet Books
Publication Date: August 27, 2013
Page Count: 336
Source: Galley Kindly Provided by Publisher via NetGalley
Audience: Young Adult - Contemporary

Warm weather makes me want to dive into contemporary reads. I loved the last Lauren Myracle novel I read (Shine) so I was super excited when I saw this one pop up on NetGalley. I must admit I was also compelled to read this one because of the cover. It's just gorgeous and magical. However, this one didn't live up to my expectations.

The story follows Wren and Charlie as they embark on a romance the summer after their high school graduation. Wren has always been the good girl; she does everything she's supposed to and cares more about her parents' plans for her future than her own. All of that changes right before graduation when Wren decides that she wants to put college on hold to go to Guatemala to work for a Peace Corps type organization. She is finally following her heart and not relying on others to decide her fate. Charlie comes from a pretty rough background with some serious problems. He's bounced around from foster home to foster home since he was little. He doesn't open his heart easily, but there is something about Wren that draws him in.

The relationship between Wren and Charlie was sweet and realistic enough, but for some reason I had a difficult time losing myself in their story. I never truly bonded with either character, but Charlie was more likable than Wren. Some readers enjoy being an outside observer, but I prefer when the author can pull me into the plot.

Another element that may pose an enjoyment barrier for some readers is the amount of sexual encounters and discussions. I feel this would be a great read to help parents start some serious conversations with their teens, but it won't appeal to everyone. 

All in all, I don't know for sure what kept me from connecting with these characters and this story. The novel is well written and the pacing flows well, but there was just no spark. There is an audience out there for this story who will adore it, but sadly for me, this was just an okay read. 


One Last Gripe: I was frustrated by Charlie's decision in the end.

My Favorite Thing About This Book: In spite of not connecting with Wren, I did like that she finally started standing up for herself and what she wanted. 

First Sentence: It was all ending: high school.

Favorite Character: Charlie

Least Favorite Character: Starrla



For as long as she can remember, Wren Gray’s goal has been to please her parents. But as high school graduation nears, so does an uncomfortable realization: Pleasing her parents once overlapped with pleasing herself, but now... not so much. Wren needs to honor her own desires, but how can she if she doesn’t even know what they are?

Charlie Parker, on the other hand, is painfully aware of his heart’s desire. A gentle boy with a troubled past, Charlie has loved Wren since the day he first saw her. But a girl like Wren would never fall for a guy like Charlie—at least not the sort of guy Charlie believes himself to be.

And yet certain things are written in the stars. And in the summer after high school, Wren and Charlie’s souls will collide. But souls are complicated, as are the bodies that house them...

Sexy, romantic, and oh-so-true to life, this is an unforgettable look at first love from one of young adult fiction’s greatest writers.

Comments

  1. I do read outside my comfort zone. Contemporary is not my coveted genre. I would give this one a chance if you weren't the second reviewer who couldn't really connect to the characters and felt the story was just so-so. I like how you explain you felt like more of an observer instead of being pulled into the plot. Anyways, thanks for the great review. For now this is something I'd consider reading when I have free time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Lauren Myracle's writing, but this one wasn't as good as some of her other stuff. Like I mentioned, I'm sure that there is an audience out there for this story and it is well written. It just didn't speak to me.

      Delete

Post a Comment

We love your comments!