Teaser Tuesday: A Death-Struck Year, Side Effects May Vary, The Museum of Extraordinary Things, Grim, & Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire


Teaser Tuesday is a weekly feature, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading.


Surrounded by the smell of antiseptic and a coppery sweet scent I recognized as blood, I realized I could not do this. I did not want to be a patient here. I did not want to die. I should have remained at school, where it was safe and isolated. I should have listened to my brother.

~ A Death-Struck Year by Makiia Lucier, pg. 78 (ARC)




There was no way I could go back to school and sit in a classroom, not while this silent avalanche slid down on my world. In the back of Luke's car, I closed my eyes and let his hands roam as I wished for a problem - a distraction - so big it would blanket me and my parents and everyone I loved most in an all-consuming darkness. About a month later, I got the big distraction I'd hoped for.

~ Side Effects May Vary by Julie Murphy, pg. 8 (ARC)




My father called them wonders, but to the world they were freaks. They hid their features so that there would be no stones flung, no sheriff's men called in, no children crying out in terror and surprise. In the streets of New York they were considered abominations, and because there were no laws to protect them, they were often ill used. I hoped that on our porch, beneath the shade of the pear tree, they would find some peace.

~ The Museum of Extraordinary Things by Alice Hoffman, Kindle Location 130-133




Understanding grew inside me and I felt an utter fool for never thinking it before. 

 "You're a prisoner, too," I whispered. 

 "I earned my sentence." Beast's breath tickled my wrist and I slowly pulled my hand away.

~ "Beast/Beast" from Grim (Anthology) edited by Christine Johnson, pg. 218




"Well, I certainly don't," said Percy sanctimoniously. "I shudder to think what the state of my in-tray would be if I was away from work for five days." 

 "Yeah, someone might slip dragon dung in it again, eh, Perce?" said Fred. 

 "That was a sample of fertilizer from Norway!" said Percy, going very red in the face."It was nothing personal!" 

 "It was," Fred whispered to Harry as they got up from the table. "We sent it."

~ Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter #4) by J.K. Rowling, pg. 60-61



Comments

  1. Hahaha!! Sorry, laughing at the Harry Potter tease! Ahhh, the memories!! Great teasers all around!

    Here's my Tuesday post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. All great teasers. I really like that first one though, stands out for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All such great teasers! I'm reading Grim right now too...though I haven't gotten to that story yet, but now I sort of want to skip to it haha. Thanks for sharing!

    Cyn @ Book Munchies

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We love your comments!