Book BFF was created by Larks Andrea, Paula, and Jen to showcase some of our favorite ladies & was originally inspired by Book Boyfriend. We'd love it if you'd join us featuring your favorite Book BFFs and leaving links so we can check out your posts. We will be alternating between Book Boyfriends and Book BFFs on Thursdays.
Isla from Isla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins
Look for my Book Boyfriend Post on Josh in January!
My ideal Isla would be Zoey Deutch. She would need red hair, but for some reason I kept seeing her in my mind while reading,
* She is described as petite, quiet, and sweet
* She has long, wavy hair
* She has pale white skin, freckles, and bright red hair
Facts About Isla:
* Isla has had a crush on Josh for years
* When she is in Manhattan, she sleeps under a quilt with an embroidered map of Paris. When she in Paris, she sleeps under a quilt with an embroidered map of Manhattan.
* Her name is pronounced "Eye-la" - "Island without the nd" (Kindle Location 47)
* She has no wisdom teeth - they are removed prior to the beginning of the novel,
* Painkillers make her brave and silly.
* Her home in New York is in a gabled building with a copper-green windows and a tiled roof.
* Her mother is French.
* Her best friend is Kurt Donald Cobain Bacon.
* She is the middle child. Her older sister is Gen and her younger sister is Hattie.
* She loves comics.
* Her dorm room is Josh's former dorm room.
* The door to her dorm room pops open frequently.
* She is a dual citizen of the US and France.
* She loves spending time at "the treehouse" with Kurt.
* She dresses "rather feminine". At one point she wears, "a dress patterned with tiny Swiss dots. It has a scoop neck and a short hem, both of which help [her] look taller ... [with] a pair of edgy Parisian heels to keep [her] from looking too innocent or vanilla" (Kindle Location 280).
* She always wears a compass necklace.
* She has a bit of the mother hen personality type.
* She is the quiet one among her sisters.
* She wears rose scented perfume.
"Red isn't the right word. It's not auburn or orange or copper or bronze. It's fire. It's like being mesmerized by the flames of a burning building. I can't look away." ~ Josh on Isla's hair, Isla and the Happily Ever After, Kindle Location 1411
"I feel like this ... awkward giant around you. You're like this perfect porcelain doll. Delicate and sweet and pretty."
I smile. "I won't break."
~ Isla and the Happily Ever After, Kindle Location 1529
I open my eyes before a full length mirror. I'm covered in garden roses, spinning compasses, falling leaves, desert islands, Joshua trees, and intricate geometric patterns. Its beautiful. I'm beautiful. ~ Isla and the Happily Ever After, Kindle Location 1547
I've always thought the best relationships are those that are as happy and content in silence as they are in action... ~ Isla and the Happily Ever After, Kindle Location 1651
"I'm beginning to think that maybe it's okay to be a blank canvas. Maybe it's okay that my future is unknown. And maybe," I say with another smile, "it's okay to be inspired by the people who do know their future." ~ Isla and the Happily Ever After, Kindle Location 3512
Why She's My Book BFF:
Isla would make a perfect friend because she has such a big heart. She is always looking out for everyone and trying to inspire them to reach their full potential. Isla is rarely frustrated with others. She always has a smile and a word of encouragement. I also appreciate that Isla is intelligent, but she doesn't always have everything figured out. She is certainly a kindred spirit.