Book Review: Hold Me Like a Breath

Hold Me Like a Breath
By: Tiffany Schmidt
Published by: Bloomsbury
Release date: May 19, 2015
Genre: YA thriller
400 pages
Source: purchased by reviewer



I love it when I get a new offering from a beloved author, and it's just as great as I expected it to be. Everyone who reads YA should be reading Tiffany Schmidt.

Schmidt's first two novels are contemporarys, and there is a lot of the contemporary vibe in Hold Me Like a Breath. This is a story about a girl who has been ultimately sheltered, both because of her illness and because of the dangerous nature of the family business, who learns to stand on her own two feet. It's a story of a girl who learns that her closest relationships aren't what she thought. It's a story of a girl falling in love for the first time.


It's also the story of a girl whose family is violently ripped from her, and who has reason to believe that she has reason to fear for her life. It's about disguises, action and intrigue, secret meetings in public places, and being very careful about who can be trusted. It's a story of the most unlikely hero saving the day.

This book could have easily been riddled with content that might make some question whether it's appropriate for younger teens. It isn't, though- the story doesn't need graphic description or excessive foul language. I appreciate that Schmidt resists the temptation to go for the shock factor, and focuses on telling a great tale. I'm certainly looking forward to her next.



Summary:

Penelope Landlow has grown up with the knowledge that almost anything can be bought or sold—including body parts. She’s the daughter of one of the three crime families that control the black market for organ transplants.

Penelope’s surrounded by all the suffocating privilege and protection her family can provide, but they can't protect her from the autoimmune disorder that causes her to bruise so easily.

And in her family's line of work no one can be safe forever.

All Penelope has ever wanted is freedom and independence. But when she’s caught in the crossfire as rival families scramble for prominence, she learns that her wishes come with casualties, that betrayal hurts worse than bruises, that love is a risk worth taking . . . and maybe she’s not as fragile as everyone thinks.

Comments

  1. I've just got my copy of this, and after reading your review, I'm even more excited to dive into it. Great review, I hope I enjoy it as much as you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Intriguing storyline, one I've never come across before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I pinned this solely on the fact that you commented on its lack of mature content/language. I avoid books that I wouldn't want my kids to read, and I'm glad that the author kept this one clean.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We love your comments!