Author Interview: Stephanie Kate Strohm


We're exited to welcome author, Stephanie Kate Strohm, to Reading Lark today. She's here to answer a few questions about her newest novelPrince in Disguise. I'm a huge fan of Strohm's work and I'm thrilled she had time to chat with us again. 


Andrea @ Reading Lark: Welcome back, Stephanie! It’s been awhile since we chatted and several new novels have hit the shelves. I am obsessed with Scotland. It’s totally a bucket list destination for me. Why did you choose it as your setting for Prince in Disguise

Stephanie: I am ALSO obsessed with Scotland! A lot of my Scotland obsession comes from my Outlander obsessions, but that’s not the reason behind the setting for Prince in Disguise. Five years ago, I received a surprise invitation to an old friend’s wedding – at a castle in Dunkeld, Scotland! It obviously made a huge impression on me, as so much of the details of Ronan’s family estate and the specifics of Dusty’s December wedding I pulled from that trip. The whole time I was there, I kept thinking, “This is unbelievable! Everything is so beautiful! I should write a book about this!” And so I did ☺ 

Andrea @ Reading Lark: I have to admit that I secretly love reality tv shows. What about them do you think fascinates viewers and readers? 

Stephanie: I ALSO not-so-secretly love reality TV shows!! I remember watching the first season of Survivor – the first reality TV show I watched – and being absolutely fascinated that these weren’t characters, they were real people! And then once I started watching The Bachelor, any show that involves weddings, etc., I was even more hooked. I love love stories in all their forms, and to me there is something magnetic about watching a love story (or a dating disaster) unfold before your eyes. Of course, I know producer manipulation plays a part, and we can never know how “real” people are being, but for me, the fascination is in that hope that we really did watch two people find love! 

Andrea @ Reading Lark: If you were on a reality tv show, which one would you most want to be on? 

Stephanie: Even though it’s not my favorite show to watch, I’d definitely most want to be on Dancing With the Stars. I love to dance, and being able to be trained by pros for weeks sounds like a dream come true! (I wouldn’t be mad about all the sequins, either. I love a good sequin!) 

Andrea @ Reading Lark: What would Dylan’s theme song be?

Stephanie: I imagine Dylan listens to “How Far I’ll Go” from Moana while running and considers Belle from Beauty and the Beast singing “I want much more than this provincial life!” her personal anthem. Dylan, like me, loves her Disney movies! 

Andrea @ Reading Lark: If this novel was a warm beverage, what would it be and why? 

Stephanie: I’m gonna have to go with two. This novel is hot, milky black tea AND hot cocoa with tons of marshmallows. One drink for Jamie, and one for Dylan. (Just like on the cover!) That’s what they each find most comforting, and I hope that Prince in Disguise gives readers exactly that cozy, comforting feeling of sitting down with their favorite hot drinks! 

Andrea @ Reading Lark: This is purely a selfish question. I have loved all of your novels, but I still have a soft spot for Libby. Will she have more novels in the future? 

Stephanie: Libby! My first protagonist. She has a very special place in my heart, too. Although there are currently no new Libby novels in the works, I would love to do one. She still has so much American history to explore!

Stephanie Kate Strohm is also the author of Pilgrims Don’t Wear Pink, Confederates Don’t Wear CoutureThe Taming of the Drew, and It's Not Me, It's You. She works as an actress and teacher in Chicago. You can find her online at www.stephaniekatestrohm.com and on Twitter @stephkatestrohm.


Someday I want to live in a place where I never hear "You're Dusty's sister?" ever again. Life is real enough for Dylan—especially as the ordinary younger sister of Dusty, former Miss Mississippi and the most perfect, popular girl in Tupelo. But when Dusty wins the hand of the handsome Scottish laird-to-be Ronan on the TRC television network's crown jewel, Prince in Disguise, Dylan has to face a different kind of reality: reality TV. As the camera crew whisks them off to Scotland to film the lead-up to the wedding, camera-shy Dylan is front and center as Dusty's maid of honor. The producers are full of surprises—including old family secrets, long-lost relatives, and a hostile future mother-in-law who thinks Dusty and Dylan's family isn't good enough for her only son. At least there's Jamie, an adorably bookish groomsman who might just be the perfect antidote to all Dylan's stress . . . if she just can keep TRC from turning her into the next reality show sensation.


Comments

  1. This is a new author for me, and I really liked the interview. I think my 6th grade students would like Stephanie Strohm's books.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We love your comments!