Friday, June 29, 2012

Book Review: Wake

Wake (Dream Catcher #1)
Published By: Simon Pulse
Publication Date: March 2008
Page Count: 210
Source: Purchased by Reviewer
Audience: Young Adult - Fantasy

I loved the style of Wake - it was bitesize and that made it easy to devour in one sitting. The style is quite different from anything I have ever read before; it reminds me almost of a newspaper report because it is written in the third person, but in the present tense. For whatever reason, that really works for me. I find that because the level of detail is kept to a really light level, there was a lot of room for me to imagine things in this story. In fact, I felt upon finishing that I had never before had such a strong sense of place in a book - usually I read descriptions and sort of cobble together an idea of what I should be thinking of, but I sometimes get too lost in the detail. 

In the story we follow Janie, who has an unfortunate ability to get sucked in to other people's dreams. She meets Cabel, a mysterious boy who pushes her home from a dance on his skateboard when she is forced to walk home barefoot by some pinching shoes. I fell in love with him right then, although it took Janie a while longer. Their
 relationship is developed in an intelligent and interesting way, and I love these characters. They don't need anyone to look after them; but they come to need each other. This book makes my heart pound. I love how you get to see how Cabel feels about Janie as she does through his dreams, and the waking interplay between them is just delicious. Cabel is a boy of few words, but long, intense looks and he is one of my all-time favorite leading men. I know Tevya also agrees, and you can read her Book Boyfriend post here: http://readinglark.blogspot.com/2011/04/my-book-boyfriend-8.html

My one word of warning about this book is that it contains a number of instances of strong cursing.



For seventeen-year-old Janie, getting sucked into other people's dreams is getting old. Especially the falling dreams, the naked-but-nobody-notices dreams, and the sex-crazed dreams. Janie's seen enough fantasy booty to last her a lifetime.

She can't tell anybody about what she does they'd never believe her, or worse, they'd think she's a freak. So Janie lives on the fringe, cursed with an ability she doesn't want and can’t control.
Then she falls into a gruesome nightmare, one that chills her to the bone. For the first time, Janie is more than a witness to someone else's twisted psyche. She is a participant.



4 comments:

  1. This is such a great series, and it takes place in MI, which is one of the main reasons I started reading it. I'm so glad I did because Lisa is a fantastic author. This series is also great for reluctant readers because it's short and fast paced. I suggest Slide by Jill Hathaway if you haven't already read it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I totally agree, I gave a 4.5 to Slide when I reviewed it for Reading Lark back in March. If you'd like to read, here's the review!

      http://readinglark.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/book-review-slide.html

      Delete
  2. I actually have this entire trilogy sitting on a shelf, unread. This review makes me want to go pick them up right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you absolutely should!!! (Followed by all Lisa's other books!!)

      Delete

We love your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...