Weekly Lark 1/26/11

The Weekly Lark is a prompt for the imagination: something that’s just for fun. A lark is defined as “a source of or quest for amusement or adventure”. . . so let the adventure begin!

This week’s lark: do you prefer print or electronic copies for recreational reading?

Andrea: If you had asked me this a few months ago I would have said print for sure, but now that I have had my Kindle for several months I am going to have to say electronic copies. I love the instant gratification! It's also nice to be able to carry tons of books in one small, lightweight machine. It certainly makes travel so much easier for me. I do still get print copies from the library, but I no longer buy books unless they are electronic.

Tevya: Can I say both? This is a trick question for me. I will forever love the smell and feel of a book, both new and old. I love the feel of a book in my hands, and the sound of pages turning. I like having that visual of how far into my journey I am and I like using pretty bookmarks that inspire me or make me smile. I like hiding little secrets in my books. Because of all these reasons, I was very resistant to joining the world of eReaders. And then I decided that I had to have a Nook Color for Chanukah this year and my world turned upside down. I am madly in love with my Nook. I love having many of my favorite books at the touch of my fingertips. I like having immediate access to new books without leaving my home. I love that most of my books are less expensive, and that I can share books with my friends. And I have to admit that when things got uncertain in a story, I was very guilty of flipping to the back of the book "just to make sure" of the outcome. I can no longer do that easily, so I've had to learn to enjoy the story and discover the outcome the way the author intended. So there you have it - I can't choose.

Julie: I've never used an e-reader so it's difficult for me to say. But as someone who never thought I'd prefer downloading music over buying a CD, where I could read the liner notes, see the cover art, etc., I think I'd be just fine with getting access to a new book immediately via a Kindle or Nook.

Paula: I will confess that I'm an old-fashioned girl, preferring the texture of the page and the smell of ink. I also like the visual of being able to see how many pages I've read- page numbers don't mean as much to me, but I can visually determine when I am half through a print book. To me, books are more than just the words on the page; they’re friends that I can carry with me, who tell me a story and take me away from the cares of the day. I love on my print books like my kids love on their favorite stuffed animals. And my signed copies- they’re some of my most prized possessions! I do, however, have some jealousy over the immediate availability the reader gets with an e-reader.

So, dear readers. . . what is your preference?


Comments

  1. I'm a mixed bag. I love the feel of the book in my hand but I really want a ereader. I wonder if I would change my mind if I got one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Elizabeth - Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love a book in my hands...but I'm also in love with my Nook! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love having the actual books to look at and to be on my shelf, but when I'm actually READING the book, I need my nook. I've actually bought nook versions of books because the nook is so much easier to read on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Serena - I'm with you! I own both the Nook version and actual books of my favorites. I typically will read it first on my Nook. Then if I love it, I have to have the book on my bookshelf. :) (And here my hubby thought getting me a Nook would cut out some of my book-buying expenses. LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's definitely paper copies for me.
    Sure you can take lots of books with you while using an ereader, but I like the satisfaction of having a physical copy of a book in my possession. Plus I don't really like staring at a screen for endless hours when I want to read. I reserve screen staring for when I'm blogging. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so torn, I don't have a ereader yet but I have gotten a bit used to reading on my pc- not as comfortable but I have adjusted , that being I will always love having the print copy in my hands nothing like it, holding it looking at the cover now and again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always thought I would hate e-readers until I actually used one. It is so handy to have hundreds of books at your finger tips and be able to travel light with one small device versus many bulky books. Paper books are great but I would not give up my e-reader for anything!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have got to side with real life books, don't get me wrong I love my Kindle and am so glad I got it for Christmas. But nothing is going to break my 23 year love/addiction to real life books. I even manage feel guilty when I buy an electronic book rather then a print book. However I running out of room to store my books so I have to switch to electronic books every once in a while.
    Sally.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Orchid: screen time is definitely a concern for me. I don't need my eyes to give out any faster than they are!
    @BLHmistress: I love looking at the cover art, too. Some are just so gorgeous!
    @Travis Kline: I can understand wanting the ereader for travel purposes. If I were on the road a lot like you are, I'd probably have bought one by now.
    @Sally: Books do take up considerable space, especially if you're a true book lover and have a large collection.

    Thanks, everyone, for stopping by and commenting!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We love your comments!