Top Ten Tuesday: Books That Tackle Tough Issues
Top 10 Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by Jamie at The Broke and the Bookish.
This week we're talking about books that tackle tough issues. These are not all YA books.
Andrea's picks are odd, Tevya's are even...
* Click on the title to be taken to a summary at GoodReads*
1. Burned by Ellen Hopkins (Religion, Gender Issues, Teen Pregnancy, Physical Abuse)
2. The Help by Kathryn Stockett (Race Issues)
3. Story of a Girl by Sara Zarr (Emotional Abuse, Depression)
4. Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson (Rape, Depression)
5. Shine by Lauren Myracle (Homosexual Discrimination, Hate Crimes)
6. Freefall by Mindi Scott (Alcoholism, Death)
7. Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson (Eating Disorders)
8. Sorta Like a Rock Star by Matthew Quick (Homelessness, Poverty, Death)
9. South of Broad by Pat Conroy (Physical Abuse, Sexual Abuse, AIDs, Discrimination)
10. Cut by Patricia McCormick (Self-Mutilation)