Throwback Thursday: Sweet Valley High Series


Throwback Thursday is a new feature at Reading Lark. We'll still be doing some Book Boyfriend Posts and Book BFF Posts on Thursdays as well, but the Larks wanted a little variety on Thursdays. Throwback Thursday will allow us to celebrate some of the reads we loved way back when...

Sweet Valley High Series
By: Francine Pascal 
Release Date: 1983


I remember picking these up for the first time in middle school. The series had been out for more than a decade by that time, but I still remember how I was so excited to experience high school through the eyes of Elizabeth and Jessica Wakefield. My goal was to read through the entire series, but I honestly can't remember if I ever made it through every book. There are so many of them! I wanted to be Elizabeth when I grew up. I also enjoyed getting to know all the supporting characters. Lila became the girl I loved to hate while I looked for Enid's qualities in my best friends. Todd was my first literary crush.


One of my favorite reads in this series was the Sweet Valley Saga which was more of a historical piece that showcased several generations of Wakefields. I reread this one so many times that the cover fell off. Hmmm, I wonder what happened to my copy....

Even as an adult, I want to go back and reread this series. I have read the first two recently when they started to re-release the series with modern updates.

I must point out that when I heard there was going to be a new story that told about Elizabeth and Jessica's lives as adults, I was over the moon with excitement. Sweet Valley Confidential did not live up to my expectations and I like to pretend it never happened. I'll just keep my memories of the original series when I think of Sweet Valley.


Comments

Post a Comment

We love your comments!