Book Review: Bone Gap

Bone Gap
Published By: Balzer & Bray
Publication Date: March 3, 2015
Page Count: 368
Source: ARC Kindly Provided by Publisher via Edelweiss
Audience: Young Adult - Magical Realism

Bone Gap was one of the oddest and most delightful novels I have read in quite some time. The story revolves largely around three characters: Finn, Roza, and Petey. With a vibrant cast of characters, a small town setting, and a hint of magic, Bone Gap is a must read!

Finn is the odd guy in town. He's always been slightly out of step with everyone around him. Odd things happen to Finn - like the time the beautiful girl appears in his barn and the moment when a giant, beautiful horse suddenly appears. The people who inhabit the town of Bone Gap have learned to accept Finn's oddity. Once Roza is kidnapped, Finn becomes the talk of the town. How could he let the girl they all care for leave? Many, including his own brother, feel like Roza wanted to leave and Finn did nothing to stop her, but Finn knows deep in his heart that Roza didn't leave willingly. It seems that only Finn can find her and bring her home. As the story progresses, it becomes clear that finding Roza will be no simple task.

The narration bounces between Finn and Roza in the beginning. These moments were intriguing as I tried to piece together what happened the night Roza left Bone Gap. I can't speak too much on the plot of this one without spoiling the read, but I was pleasantly surprised by all of the delicious plot twists. I never would have seen some of them coming. As such, this review will be short and sweet. Do NOT allow yourself to be spoiled before reading this one.

Petey comes into play as Finn tries to piece together the memory of what happened to Roza. He finds himself falling in love with the town's bee girl. I adored Petey! She was a good fit for Finn. 

My one minor complaint was the confusing plot. There were some moments I had no idea what was going on and how everything fit together. I decided to just enjoy the ride - even when I had trouble navigating the literary current - and hope that in the end everything would make sense. It was slightly disorienting to me, but I am so glad I trusted the author's vision. I bow down to the awesome creative ability of Ms. Ruby. Bone Gap is a gorgeous and haunting novel. I was mesmerized by Ruby's beautiful use of language; she is a master of figurative language.


One Last Gripe: My only complaint was the confusion I felt as a reader from time to time. 

Favorite Thing About This Book: I loved so many aspects, but if I have to choose one element, I think it would be the characters. Every character in this novel is memorable and vibrant. I love the small town quirks that many of the characters possess.

First Sentence: The people of Bone Gap called Finn a lot of things, but none of them was his name.

Favorite Character: Finn

Least Favorite Character: The Scare Crow



Everyone knows Bone Gap is full of gaps—gaps to trip you up, gaps to slide through so you can disappear forever. So when young, beautiful Roza went missing, the people of Bone Gap weren’t surprised. After all, it wasn’t the first time that someone had slipped away and left Finn and Sean O’Sullivan on their own. Just a few years before, their mother had high-tailed it to Oregon for a brand new guy, a brand new life. That’s just how things go, the people said. Who are you going to blame?

Finn knows that’s not what happened with Roza. He knows she was kidnapped, ripped from the cornfields by a dangerous man whose face he cannot remember. But the searches turned up nothing, and no one believes him anymore. Not even Sean, who has more reason to find Roza than anyone, and every reason to blame Finn for letting her go.

As we follow the stories of Finn, Roza, and the people of Bone Gap—their melancholy pasts, their terrifying presents, their uncertain futures—acclaimed author Laura Ruby weaves a heartbreaking tale of love and loss, magic and mystery, regret and forgiveness—a story about how the face the world sees is never the sum of who we are.


Comments

  1. This sounds delightfully haunting and gorgeous! I want to know more about Finn right away and the fact that you said it was odd and brilliant and had a hint of magic completely pulled me in because it sounds special:)
    Maya @ anotheronceuponatime.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We love your comments!