Book Review: Chasing Impossible


25263399
Chasing Impossible
By: Katie McGarry
Release date: July 1, 2015
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Genre: YA Contemporary Romance
298 pages
Source: free via preorder, provided by publisher

Something about the release of Chasing Impossible irked me enough that I pushed it to one side for quite a while. It was only available as a benefit of preordering another Katie McGarry novel and, although I would have bought that book anyway, I felt like Chasing Impossible was being held hostage. Still, apparently I fell for the ruse; I just felt annoyed that I did. So it took me some time to get around to read this.

Since it had been a while since I was in the world of Abby, Isaiah, Rachel and West, and I found myself struggling to recall details - for one, I couldn't really remember Logan. He slotted into place after a while though, in that typical lead male slot - slightly tortured but a gem underneath. Logan's demon was his diabetes. It was interesting to see diabetes get such a high profile as there are plenty of other diseases out there to pick from, and most folks would assume diabetes isn't that serious. I lost a (youngish) relative to it a long time ago, so I know otherwise. The way it was discussed by characters was good but the way Logan approached it, with a desperation to keep his condition secret, was nonsensical and I think that did a disservice to those suffering, for whom it is life changing but ultimately no big deal if managed sensibly. If I had been one of his friends, left in the dark for fear of them looking at him differently, I would have been really really angry with him for making assumptions about way I would treat him. Kids are wonderful at accepting what is and moving on. So every time his diabetes was mentioned, and Logan risked his life to hide it, I wanted to slap some sense into him.

Abby was always a character that intrigued me in the other books. Very "cat-like" in how she only interacted on her own terms, and interesting in how mysterious she was. I really enjoyed finding out more about what motivated her. I can't say I agreed with her life choices, in dealing drugs to keep the dollars rolling in, but the cause is a good one. I won't spoil it by saying more! I did get very irritating by Abby's frequent references to her damned soul and how soulless she was. I felt like these could have, and should have, been written differently to illustrate the issue, rather than just stating it.

As a couple, Abby and Logan were quite delicious to read. They had a great back and forth, and their mutual stubbornness was an asset. I appreciated how they both slowly came to care deeply for each other, with no obstacle to induce one of those all to familiar fallouts. Sure, there was a problem, but they both kept the faith with each other through it and that was refreshing.

For all the things that annoyed me, I did love the story and particularly the bunnies. I think this series is exhausted though for me now. Anyone else in that crew with big emotional problems would be too much for me. They are the unluckiest bunch of friends!! They need a hazard sign flashing - get involved and risk your health! (That said, West is intriguing...).



Tough and independent, 17-year-old Abby lets very few people into her inner circle. It’s common knowledge in her Kentucky town that she deals drugs, but not even her closest friends know why. But when a deal goes south and Abby’s suddenly in danger, she finds herself reluctantly forced to lean on daredevil Logan—a boy whose restless spirit matches her own.

Logan has his own reasons for wanting to keep Abby at arms’ length. But he never expected to find in her the one person who might help him face the demons he’s tried so hard to run from.

Together, Abby and Logan will have to make a decision: let their current circumstances weigh them down forever…or fight for the future they both thought was impossible.


Comments