Book Review: Supremacy

Supremacy (Supremacy #1) 
Author: Christin Lee 
Published by: Self Published 
Publication Date: 3 June 2016 
Page Count: 330 
Buy it at Barnes and Noble or Amazon 
Source: ebook provided by author 
Audience: Young Adult – Contemporary

I am usually quite open to reading about secret societies, hidden species, dystopian worlds, etc, but for some reason I had a hard time believing in the truth that Kate, the main character, discovers about Lucas, her love interest, and where he is from. I don’t want to give any spoilers away in my review, and it’s hard to talk about it without, but I will try.

Kate is a normal 17-year-old girl, just trying to get through high school, but finds it very boring because she is extremely gifted. She learns everything very quickly and never forgets. She has a special affinity with animals as well. When she meets Lucas, a foreign exchange student from Spain at the local college, her life changes forever. They have a special bond that is apparent from the first time they meet. The more Kate and Lucas spend time together, the more Kate realizes Lucas is hiding something from her. He’s not who he says he is. He has a hard time controlling his anger, and he is an incredibly strong martial arts fighter. Kate digs into his past and his life until she finds out the truth, and it’s almost too hard to believe, until he takes her into his world. Soon Kate and Lucas both must fight for their lives and their love.

There were a lot of grammatical errors in this book: missing words, extra words, spelling, punctuation, misplaced (rearranged words; it needed a lot more editing done to it and if I were the author I would hire a new editor. Most of the time, as long as there aren’t many, I can look past the errors, but there were so many it actually took away from the reading experience.

Even though I found some of the story hard to believe in, it wasn’t actually hard to imagine. The imagery was really good, and I enjoyed picturing it as the author described it all. If it were real, where Lucas is from would be an amazing place to visit.

I love the characters. Kate and Lucas are very well thought out, they’re traits and personalities unique to themselves. Even Kate’s and Lucas’s friends and family are fleshed out and each with their own standout personalities. Christin Lee did a great job of distinguishing between them all. The chemistry between Kate and Lucas was so amazingly potent. I got goose bumps the first time they kissed, not many teen books can illicit that kind of response from me.

I did enjoy the story, but as I said in the first sentence, the premise, or synopsis, was hard for me to believe in. I realize how crazy or weird that sounds. I love stories about different species: vampires, werewolves, demons and angels, fairies, even fairy tale retellings. I love stories of zombies and dystopian futures. This story, however, was hard for me to wrap my head around, and I’m very open minded.

In saying that, the plot itself is a good one, and the series has a good basis. I find myself wanting to read the continuing story of Kate, Lucas, and their friends, find out what happens to them, as the plot thickens.


One Last Thought: As I said earlier, and it bears repeating, the entire books needs a fresh set of eyes to read and correct the errors. I have done copy editing work in the past, and when I am reading they are my biggest pet peeves.

Favorite Thing About This Book: I loved the developing story between Lucas and Kate. It’s not all hearts and roses and happily ever afters. Even though the link and chemistry is strong and undeniable between them, it still takes work. And as truth is revealed, plot twists happen, it gets even harder, but I know they will prevail.

First Sentence: Kate Parker drove slowly as she made her way down the quiet back road.

Favorite Character: Kate

Least Favorite Character: Santino


Kate Parker, is a 17 year old senior living in Texas. She's on the swim team, has two incredible best friends, and a passion for saving animals. She falls hard when she meets a mysterious and fascinating guy named Lucas. He has a sexy accent and a killer smile. However, she sees unexplained pain and anger in his dark brown eyes. He claims he’s a foreign exchange student from Spain who is attending the local University—Kate knows there’s more to his story than that. She works hard to discover who he is—what he is.

Comments