Book Review: I See You

I See You
Published By: William Morrow
Publication Date: November 1, 2016
Page Count: 352
Source: ARC Kindly Provided by Publisher via Edelweiss
Audience: New Adult - Contemporary

Typically I shy away from love triangle novels, but I couldn't pass up on a new McAdams story. In spite of the dreaded love triangle dominating the plot of this one, I found myself (as always) immersed in these characters and their emotions. It didn't seem to matter that the main character, Rorie, was caught in a love triangle between Declan and Jentry.

Rorie is a likable character who makes you understand the impossible position fate has placed her in. She knows that no matter what choice she makes someone will end up hurting. Declan, her current boyfriend, is full of sunshine and light, but he has a few skeletons in his closet. On the other hand, Jentry is dark and brooding, but Rorie makes him feel like he can be a good person. She must choose the one she can't live without, but when Declan ends up in a coma after a horrible car accident, Rorie must reevaluate her life and choices. What happens when Declan wakes up? Which man will she give her heart?

I have to admit that I was firmly on Team Declan. Don't get me wrong, I liked Jentry, but I didn't buy into the instalove he had with Rorie. It just doesn't seem plausible to me. I've never been the sort who believes in the love at first sight thing. I understood that Rorie and Jentry had a connection, but I wanted them to explore that more before declaring their love. What Rorie has with Declan seemed more real and genuine because it had time to grow and develop. I won't spoil the novel by telling you which guy Rorie chooses and how the story plays out, but McAdams handles it well.

In addition to the romance, there are also some serious issues running throughout this one. First, Declan's mother, Linda, is a terror. She's rude and judgmental to Rorie from the beginning. Eventually Linda's problem rises to the surface, but I can't say I ever ended up liking her. She was such a witch to Rorie; the treatment was unfair. Second, Jentry's sister has some problems due to an abusive childhood and a transient adult lifestyle. Her behavior was erratic and difficult to read. I was uncomfortable with Jessica anytime her name appeared on the page.

At its core, this is a story about the bonds that are forged through familial and romantic relationships. McAdams never writes love stories where the course of true love runs smoothly, so be sure to expect lots of bumps along the way to Rorie's happily ever after. I've learned to prepare my heart for the bruises that McAdams will inflict, but I keep coming back for more. These characters and their problems have a way of burrowing into my mind and refusing to let go.


One Last Gripe: I had some trouble with the time jumps from time to time. I fully admit this could be due to having an infant in the house which can make concentrating on reading difficult from time to time.

Favorite Thing About This Book: I liked watching Rorie evolve. I wanted to clap when she finally started standing up for herself and speaking her mind.

First Sentence: My eyes found his again, as they had often in the two hours I had been here, and I curled my fingers against the back of his neck.

Favorite Character: Rorie

Least Favorite Character: Linda



Futures are uncertain, unpredictable—like ink spilled across the purest surface. Nearly imperceptible ripples move and flow until a unique stain is formed. The ink is permanently imbedded in the surface…

During one wild night in college, Jentry Michaels is a tidal wave of ink that brands Aurora Wilde’s soul. An unparalleled stain she can’t forget despite the many months that have passed—and despite the distraction she’d hoped she would find in her new relationship with Declan, the charmer who captured her heart soon after. Jentry has irrevocably touched her soul, and he is intertwined in her present and future in ways she never fathomed. Now Aurora is faced with keeping that night hidden though it feels as if the ink has indelibly etched their story across her skin.

When Declan is confronted with his own personal demons, Aurora must decide if she will continue to hold tight to their relationship and a safe, reliable future with him, or if she will turn to Jentry—the guy she can’t forget no matter how hard she tries.…

Comments