Book Review: Winter Glass

Winter Glass (Spindle Fire #2)
Published By: HarperTeen
Publication Date: April 10, 2018
Page Count: 352
Source: ARC Kindly Provided by Publisher via Edelweiss
Young Adult - Fantasy, Fairy Tale Inspired

I enjoyed my first experience with Aurora and Isbe, so I was excited to see their fate unfold in this second installment. Winter Glass opens where Spindle Fire left off, so if you haven't read these, I'd suggest reading them back to back. I had to return to my notes since it had been so long since I had read book #1.

As with Spindle Fire, Hillyer does a beautiful job of describing her fairy tale inspired world that borrows elements from Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella, but is also constructed largely from her own imaginings. I was instantly drawn back into a world of curses, tithes to the fey, and warring kingdoms as two sisters fight to keep their people alive. In addition to the war aspects, there is also a huge emphasis on love, loyalty, and friendship that radiates through this novel.

The tension is high in this novel as Malfleur is waging war on the kingdom which heightens the action and suspense. Hillyer does a nice job of keeping readers on their toes by throwing in unexpected twists and turns.

It's hard to review this one without spoilers, but I will say that I preferred the first installment slightly more, but I felt this was a fitting conclusion. It ties up loose ends, answers questions, and provides closure for both Aurora and Isbe. The sisters are ultimately what kept me invested in this series. I love their character growth through the duology and their commitment to one another; their sister bond transcended everything else. I'd also be remiss not to mention the gorgeous prose that Hillyer weaves throughout this novel and its predecessor. If you're a fan of fairy tale reinventions with a hint of the original Grimm darkness, this duology is a must read.


One Last Gripe: I can't mention it because it's a spoiler.

Favorite Thing About This Book: The setting

First Sentence: Sleep is a vast and supple darkness.

Favorite Character: Isbe

Least Favorite Character: Malfleur



A curse comes undone. A kingdom shatters. But some bonds can’t be broken. 

 Princess Aurora, torn from the dream world, plots to assassinate the faerie queen Malfleur, only to confront temptations she never expected. Isabelle, meanwhile, opens her heart to Prince William as they attempt to unite their kingdoms and wage war against Malfleur’s army. But when the appearance of an unbreakable glass slipper prompts Isabelle to discover more about her lineage, her true identity begins to take shape and her legacy becomes as clear as ice. 

 Devoted half-sisters Isabelle and Aurora will grapple with their understanding of love and loyalty as they face a threat even greater than that of the evil queen—the threat of losing each other forever.

Comments