Book Review: Sadie


Sadie
Published By: Wednesday Books
Publication Date: September 4, 2018
Page Count: 320
Source: ARC Kindly Provided by Publisher via NetGalley
Young Adult/New Adult - Thriller/Mystery

I have been a fan of Courtney Summers since I first spent time with Parker in Cracked Up to Be. Summers has a way of showcasing life with all of its bruises and broken bones rather than adding a heavy dose of sugarcoating. Sadie is no exception, but this might be the most difficult of Summers' novels to read. The novel is powerful and heartbreaking. Sadie would have been difficult for me to read at any point in my life due to the intense subject matter, but reading it as a Mom caused hurt and anxiety on a whole new level. This story may be too much for some readers as it deals with sexual abuse. Sadie's memories tell the story of her past neglect and abuse; it made me want to rage and cry as my stomach churned with angry disgust that any child has to live through experiences of that nature. This is one of the most difficult reviews I have ever had to write. It is impossible to read this novel and not feel like you have been punched in the gut.

The novel begins after the murder of Sadie's thirteen year old sister, Mattie. While there are not a ton of details provided, it is apparent that the murder was gruesome. Sadie was a surrogate mother figure for her younger sister and her grief over Mattie's death is palpable. To make matters worse, Sadie believes she knows who the killer is and sets off on her own vendetta to right the wrongs this man has sown in her life. Not only does she believe he killed Mattie, but she also remembers the abuse she suffered at his hands when she was a child. 

Sadie's journey to find revenge had me on the edge of my seat and dreading the next page. Ultimately, I kept reading to find out what would happen to Sadie in the end, but it was not always easy, and I almost put this one aside multiple times. This is an intense and difficult read - prepare yourself to pay a heavy emotional toll as payment for Sadie's story. For me, my reaction was reminiscent of how I felt while reading The Lovely Bones.

The novel's narrative style is unique and made the story more compelling. It unfolds via transcripts for a podcast that airs about Mattie and Sadie as well as through Sadie's perspective. The podcast is being told in the future while Sadie's segments are being told in the past. This is an inventive storytelling method that will speak to many readers, like myself, who enjoy podcasts. I have recently listened to two true crime podcasts, Up and Vanished and Atlanta Monster, which I found to be well done and creepily fascinating. This medium is becoming more popular and it only makes sense that it would be replicated in novel form. There is also a podcast created by Macmillan Publishers that goes along with the novel.

Sadie is a novel that will haunt you from start to finish. It left me with questions and a flood of emotions. Summers has created an intense thriller with revenge and righteous anger at its core. I keep lingering on the notion that the monsters that live in reality are so much more terrifying than those of paranormal fiction. Humanity is often more terrifying than any vampire or evil wizard could ever be. How many monsters are hiding within plain sight? That thought chills my blood.


One Last Gripe: The ending was unsatisfying. 

Favorite Thing About This Book: The narrative style

First Sentence: It's a beautiful day in the city.

Favorite Character: Sadie

Least Favorite Character: It's a tie between Silas and Jack.



Sadie hasn't had an easy life. Growing up on her own, she's been raising her sister Mattie in an isolated small town, trying her best to provide a normal life and keep their heads above water. 

 But when Mattie is found dead, Sadie's entire world crumbles. After a somewhat botched police investigation, Sadie is determined to bring her sister's killer to justice and hits the road following a few meagre clues to find him. 

 When West McCray—a radio personality working on a segment about small, forgotten towns in America—overhears Sadie's story at a local gas station, he becomes obsessed with finding the missing girl. He starts his own podcast as he tracks Sadie's journey, trying to figure out what happened, hoping to find her before it's too late.

Comments

  1. I have read about this book twice today! I was drawn by the summary, but a little worried that I'd find it too disturbing to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize exactly all the content when I took on the review, but the summary was intriguing. I did want people to know it contained some difficult subject matter though so they were not blindsided by it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

We love your comments!