Book Review: The Alchemyst

The Alchemyst
Published By:  Delacorte Press
Publication Date:  June 24, 2008
Page Count:  369
Buy it at AmazonBarnes & Noble, or IndieBound
Source: borrowed from my 11 year-old son :)
Middle Grade/YA - Fantasy

My budding middle-schooler pleaded with me all summer to start the Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel series, by Michael Scott.  The Alchemyst begins with twins Sophie and Josh getting caught up in a mystical battle between Nicholas Flamel and John Dee, two centuries-old alchemyst-mages.  Flamel protects the twins from Dee as it becomes apparent that Josh and Sophie are the two foretold by prophecy who can ruin Dee's plans to bring back the Dark Elders, a group of mysterious god-like beings who will destroy or enslave humanity.

The whole concept of this book is tremendous fun.  I love the idea of Nicholas Flamel being a bookstore owner in modern day San Francisco.  (I mean, why not?  His tomb is empty after all.)  And unlike other YA series which stick to a single mythology, Scott draws from at least half a dozen traditions for his otherworldly characters.  From the Morrigan to Hekate, from Bast to the Witch of Endor, The Alchemyst seethes with the supernatural.  I can hardly imagine what waits for readers in the later books of the series!

While the variety of characters was impressive, I never found myself really sucked into the story completely.  Sophie and Josh were never fully believable to me.  I've never seen two siblings that openly loving and considerate to each other, including the twins I've known.  Likewise, I wanted to relate more to Flamel, but he is closed and guarded enough as to be impenetrable to the reader.  There is so much potential for an amazing character there.  I hope the author fleshes him out more in the next book.

Overall, my son and I had differing experiences reading The Alchemyst.  My son seemed more focused on the different mythological characters and the magical battles between them.  He thoroughly enjoyed the book.  As an adult reader, the story idea was great, but fell short a bit on characterization and depth.  For the middle school reader, this book probably deserves four birdies; for me, three.  Thus, I am rating it at three and a half.


Summary:

He holds the secret that can end the world.

The truth: Nicholas Flamel was born in Paris on September 28, 1330. Nearly 700 years later, he is acknowledged as the greatest Alchemyst of his day. It is said that he discovered the secret of eternal life.

The records show that he died in 1418.

But his tomb is empty.

The legend: Nicholas Flamel lives. But only because he has been making the elixir of life for centuries. The secret of eternal life is hidden within the book he protects—the Book of Abraham the Mage. It's the most powerful book that has ever existed. In the wrong hands, it will destroy the world. That's exactly what Dr. John Dee plans to do when he steals it. Humankind won't know what's happening until it's too late. And if the prophecy is right, Sophie and Josh Newman are the only ones with the power to save the world as we know it.

Sometimes legends are true.

And Sophie and Josh Newman are about to find themselves in the middle of the greatest legend of all time.

Comments

  1. I have this book on my classroom bookshelf (6th grade) and a couple of my students have picked it up. I haven't read it yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be curious to hear what your students think. My 6th grader sure enjoyed it!

      Delete

Post a Comment

We love your comments!