Book Review: The Last American Vampire

The Last American Vampire (Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter #2)
Published By: Grand Central Publishing
Publication Date: January 2015
Page Count: 399
Source: Purchased by Reviewer
Adult - Paranormal

Henry Sturges was one of my favorite aspects of Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, so I was thrilled to see that I would finally get to step into Henry's past a bit more. I wanted to understand how he became a vampire and what happened to him once Abe was assassinated. 

I won't ruin any of the surprises that await you in this volume, but everything you could possibly want to know about Henry will come to light. As with the first installment a lengthy list of historical figures will make appearances as Henry navigates the colonial era, Jack the Ripper, Rasputin, New York in the early 1900's, and much more. Henry finds himself present at integral moments in U.S. History. His involvement melts into the historical timeline in a seamless manner that makes it all seem almost plausible.

In addition to the history, Henry is also trying to track down a killer who is targeting high profile vampires. This aspect of the novel kept me on my toes and made for some creepy moments. This also might be a good time to mention that the gore in this one was a bit much for my taste at times.

My favorite segment was Henry's time in London and the Rasputin events. I had such fun learning about both familiar and unfamiliar history through Henry's eyes. He might just be my favorite literary vampire of all time. For someone who has been a fan of vampire lore since childhood, that is saying a lot.


One Last Gripe: The relationship Henry has when he lives among the Powhatan freaked me out.

Favorite Thing About This Book: The history

First Sentence: I was dying, and I wasn't afraid.

Favorite Character: Henry

Least Favorite Character: Grander



In Reconstruction-era America, vampire Henry Sturges is searching for renewed purpose in the wake of his friend Abraham Lincoln's shocking death. It will be an expansive journey that will first send him to England for an unexpected encounter with Jack the Ripper, then to New York City for the birth of a new American century, the dawn of the electric era of Tesla and Edison, and the blazing disaster of the 1937 Hindenburg crash. Along the way, Henry goes on the road in a Kerouac-influenced trip as Seth Grahame-Smith ingeniously weaves vampire history through Russia's October Revolution, the First and Second World Wars, and the JFK assassination. Expansive in scope and serious in execution, THE LAST AMERICAN VAMPIRE is sure to appeal to the passionate readers who made Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter a runaway success.

Comments